Thread: Jack of all trades

Exclamation Jack of all trades

Although I spent last 30 years in power woodworking as hobby, I had had a few very cheap manual planes, including two number 4 and one block plane – all Stanley, new, (very) low priced and with the consequences in the manufacturing quality. I got trauma from chip breakers as I never had success to adjust them properly.

Around three years ago I decided to try again, this time with different approach: I made a diligent research in the internet in order to learn more about the construction and uses of those beasts (in the process I discovered this site). I went to a high quality, high priced tool maker selecting Lee Nielsen. Also, I decided to stay far away from chip breakers.

I went first to a BU block plane followed by BU Jack plane. They looked me all I needed considering I am mainly a power tool user and I have severe space limitation in my small 104 square foot workshop.

Today is a great day as I finished the preparation of my last iron for the Jack plane, so now I have the complete iron set I planned a couple of years ago to use my Jack plane as a real platform for different functions:
    • The standard 25 degrees iron for end grain
    • The standard toothed 25 degrees to turn wood surface not slipped
    • The standard 90 degrees iron to scrap the most difficult grains
    • One very slightly cambered micro beveled iron at 50 degrees for smoothing
    • One strongly cambered iron micro beveled at 35 degrees to use as scrub plane iron

Actually, I just finished the last one and I did not have a chance to test. All four other irons were already tested and approved!

The two cambered irons were prepared according to a paper authored by Derek except I have neither a decent belt sander nor a Tormek, so I used muscle power, a set of diamond stones and stropping. It worked. Crazily sharp.

Now my Jack plane is really a “jack of all trades”. Thanks all, specially Derek, to generously share your experience.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I have a LN #62 and there are times that it just fits the situation and my mood. People talk about BU planes versatility and they aren’t wrong. I, personally, have never cared for cambered BU blades (even though I have Derek’s excellent article bookmarked). I really regret selling my LV BU jointer.

then again, I also like BD planes and wooden planes.

The two cambered irons were prepared according to a paper authored by Derek except I have neither a decent belt sander nor a Tormek, so I used muscle power, a set of diamond stones and stropping. It worked. Crazily sharp
    Hi Osvaldo

Just a comment about using a belt sander: that was the machine I was using at the time I wrote that article. Today I use a 8” bench grinder and hollow grind the blades ... still at 25 degrees, before add a micro secondary bevel at the desired angle. This is still the most efficient way to camber a BU plane blade with a high cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now I'm wishing I hadn't sold my BU Jack. What a great idea. But I'm not buying another one :-) I'm going all woodie.

Tested and approved

I had a chance to test my Jack plane with this blade and I can state it is completely approved.

I used two pieces of massaranduba (scraps from my new bench construction). It is a (very) hard wood with complex grain. The plane "destroyed" it. No hard effort to take off big and consistent wood shanks.

20200803_163154.jpg20200803_163123.jpg

Now I really can tell how ancient woodworkers could cope in the office without power tools. Even an unexperienced and physically weaker woodworker (like myself) can compete with power tools in speed and efficiency in some contexts.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Interesting write up Osvaldo. I'm now more curious about BU planes.

Admittedly, for some reason, a few years ago though I wasn't really doing any hand tool woodworking, I purchased a Veritas LU Smoother and Jointer. I've never used them. I do have the toothed blade.
    I may have to give them a try.