Thread: Eric Lofstrom and NRS

Eric Lofstrom and NRS

Our club just had a remote demo from Eric and he was absolutely outstanding. In addition to much other info, he described his use of negative rake scrapers. Here are the points he mentioned:
    1. He goes from a coarse CBN wheel (60 grit) to a fine diamond hone to a carbide burnishing rod to create his burr.
    2. His burr lasts a very long time. And he uses it for much more than final smoothing, but bulk removal also. I think he said he can start sanding at 600 grit on end grain hard maple.
    3. He prefers M42 over A11 steel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    Our club just had a remote demo from Eric and he was absolutely outstanding. In addition to much other info, he described his use of negative rake scrapers. Here are the points he mentioned:
    1. He goes from a coarse CBN wheel (60 grit) to a fine diamond hone to a carbide burnishing rod to create his burr.
    2. His burr lasts a very long time. And he uses it for much more than final smoothing, but bulk removal also. I think he said he can start sanding at 600 grit on end grain hard maple.
    3. He prefers M42 over A11 steel
    His experience is similar to mine. I do use 60 CBN to shape but never tried honing from that. I sharpen with 600 CBN, hone with an extra fine Eze Lap diamond hone, then burnish the burr. I find in most things I can start with 320 or finer, sometimes 400, occasionally 600 depending on the wood. The harder and finer grain the better. I have one M42 NRS which is excellent; most of mine are 10V but I think that's another name for A11.

I looked up Mike Nathal, he seems pretty active in woodturning.

JKJ

I find Eric to be one of the most entertaining demonstrators ever. I guess you could use a 60 grit wheel, but why? If for no other reason, your tool will be ground to a nub much more quickly. I use the wheel that is closest to me, which can be 180 or 600, and can't detect any difference in the burr. Some times I just take and burnish the grinder burr down, and which breaks it off, and then burnish up a good cutting burr. No real need to hone if you are using a 600 grit wheel.

I did ask Eric about using the NRS for bulk removal, and he said some thing like 'a standard scraper burr will pull off stock much faster, but with the burnished burr on a NRS, is is much easier for beginners to remove stock. I agree.

I switch back and forth a lot between M42 and V10 like the Thompson or Batty tools, and can't really tell any difference. As far as most durable burr, that would be a NRS made from tantung, which is the cutting material on the Big Ugly tool. I haven't tried it yet on Stellite, which is the cutting material on the Woodcut coring blades.

robo hippy