Thread: Tried out my new Cermark Ultra

Tried out my new Cermark Ultra

Just weird to me to use BLACK Cermark. (actually this is dark gray )

Suggested mix is 2:1 for brushing. I mixed it at 1.5:1 just in case. Glad I did, very runny.

I brushed it on the back of an old piece of SS. I didn't clean it first, on purpose-

this pic is with direct light shadowed
    cmu1.jpg

this pic with light as even as I could get it with all the overhead tubes in this place-
    cmu2.jpg

Cermark is touting 'faster speeds lower power' settings are possible. I ran the 30w Explorer at 100 power, 20 speed at 500 res. My normal Cermark settings are 100/16/600. I ran my 80w Triumph at around my normal setting, 20% power and 200mm/second. With the Triumph I got ALMOST precisely the same results as with LMM6000, which is a nice consistent well-fused but dark gray rather than black mark. The first pic shows this well... But what's missing is the 'holographic' gloss I normally get with the 6000. If I can get the same consistent mark at lower power and defocusing the lens a bit, I may finally get the (1) well fused (2) consistent (3) black mark I've never been able to get. I've always been able to get any 2 of that list, but the 3rd always suffers.

The results with the Explorer were less than astounding. Partly due to not cleaning the metal first is likely. I thought maybe the solution was weak or not applied consistent enough, but the Triumph results in that regard were great. So that means that not cleaning, and/OR, my speed was too fast. 500 res should've been fine, but 600 may help. But at this time, I'm not convinced that I'll be able to run faster, at least with a 15 year old 30w machine. I DO like the blackness I got with the Explore

Next tests will be better prepped SS, aluminum and brass. And less Triumph power.

I DO like how black the Explorer sample is, it's VERY black. That's a much higher priority to me than engraving speeds. AND, even though the Exp samples are showing bare spots, it seems to be fused very well, my 2nd most important priority.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have been wanting to test this out on my Trotec. I talked with the owner, and he said I should be able to run at 100% speed. I also like that its one formula for many different substrates.