Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor Equipment Shortage?

My daughters been wanting a new mountain bike since before all of this and she finally had the $$ ready to go. Now nothing's around.

I can still buy stuff to BUILD a bike (it's very common in higher end, boutique bikes to buy a frameset and all the components individually), and I can still buy a much higher end bike than she's looking for.

But yes, the local bike stores are all out.. and when they do come in, they're gone within hours.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Percy; years ago we went by train from Chicago to California. We met a young couple who boarded just west of Chicago heading to Seattle. We talked with them at dinner and they had bought two kayaks at a yard sale and had them in the baggage car. They were charged $5.00 extra each for oversize luggage! I think they met the weight requirements. Later we looked in the baggage car door and saw two big yellow kayaks on top of the suitcases.
    Bil lD

Lots of supply chain problems. My 12 year old just learned to ride a bike so wanted to buy her a new one because her old one was broken. Bike shop has no new bikes, said he cannot get them. Have only been able to fix the broken bike with used parts, and that includes a replacement tire and a broken brake handle. He did have high end tires that he managed to get in, but, they would not fix this old used bike.

Yea, almost all (good) components come from Taiwan, certainly SRAM does, and much of Shimano is made either there or in the mainland. I think only their high end components are made in Japan. I can't think of anything short of Campagnolo that comes from Europe. All of the US made stuff is boutique, ie.. very high end. Well, I think we successfully ordered a bike last night, that was just a touch over her budget. We'll see if it arrives.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

i just noticed today that a local compact tractor dealer had almost zero stock out front. They have ALWAYS had a full parking lot of new equipment.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just in the WalMart in Lancaster, Ohio this morning and they had a couple of bikes that would work for her. $150 and down
    Ron

Outdoor power equipment, outdoor rec equipment, home improvement supplies, woodworking, crafting, gardening, basically things you can do by yourself or in small groups or things to do at home; it is all in high demand now. State campgrounds are nearly full the all week not just weekends. Below is the fishing line isle from the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Couple high demand with Covid related disruptions in supply and transportation and you get shortages. I've been waiting three months for the screens for the windows I replaced. The windows only took six weeks (about 3 longer than normal), but the screen factory was totally shut down for months and only just reopened. The shingles I just ordered will take about twice as long as normal.

IMG_7879.jpg

Son and extended family are on vacation at beach this week. Their jet ski needed a new pump. He had trouble finding parts to fix it, so he said "Lets buy a new one." None available for love nor money. So yesterday, DIL and her mother drove to Charlotte (AA hub) to pick up MIL's grandkids from Montana, while son fixed pump on jet ski. Oh yeah, DIL was pulling a 17 foot Bayliner with her to the airport, then on to the beach. See very few bicycles at dumpsters right now

I just quoted a job, 3 ton AC and 80k heater.
    8-12 WEEKS for a coil. The salesman and Goodman said, "at least 12 weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    I just quoted a job, 3 ton AC and 80k heater.
    8-12 WEEKS for a coil. The salesman and Goodman said, "at least 12 weeks."
    Not surprising, I ordered mineral wool insulation with an 8 week lead.. at week 9, I was told "who knows". So ended up using fiberglass (I wanted the extra r value for thickness, and more important the sound proofing. oh well, the neighbors can put up with more shop noise).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My grandkids needed new mountain bikes but as you said, none to be had. I'm lucky that I live in a town with many vacation homes. People throw out stuff that needs to be repaired, so I went to our dump.

Picked up three bikes in two days & combined with parts I had in my stash, built two great new to them bikes. I expect to get inducted into grandfather hall of fame soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    My daughters been wanting a new mountain bike since before all of this and she finally had the $$ ready to go. Now nothing's around.

I can still buy stuff to BUILD a bike (it's very common in higher end, boutique bikes to buy a frameset and all the components individually), and I can still buy a much higher end bike than she's looking for.

But yes, the local bike stores are all out.. and when they do come in, they're gone within hours.