Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Equipment Shortage?

Outdoor Equipment Shortage?

The front entrance at both my local Lowes and Home Depot is completely clear of outdoor power equipment, mowers, log splitters, tillers, etc. I assume it is related to Covid shut down of mfg plants. Do ya'll have the same in your area? Just found it interesting, not in the market for anything just now.

Perry

Most likely reason for this phenomenon IMO is simply a lot of people now have time to do projects they've been putting off...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    The front entrance at both my local Lowes and Home Depot is completely clear of outdoor power equipment, mowers, log splitters, tillers, etc. I assume it is related to Covid shut down of mfg plants. Do ya'll have the same in your area? Just found it interesting, not in the market for anything just now.

Perry
    I don't pay attention to outdoor power equipment displays, but there are other shortages.

My local Lowes didn't have a Square-D 30 Amp double pole breaker last Thursday and there were other bare spots on the shelves for electrical breakers. (Home Depot didn't have such a breaker either when I went on Friday). Lowes has half a dozen models of corded orbital sanders on display, but none for sale. It's been that way for several months. There are bare spaces on the rack for sanding discs. The local Sutherlands Hardware did not have the breaker. They were also out of roofing felt!

Definitely shortages on outdoor sporting goods too, like bikes.

One of the three Home Despots near me had to stop having that stuff outside about two years ago. Too much was walking off at night and even before closing.
    Bill D

Perry, 'hope all is well with you and yours.

I think that what you observe is actually a combination of increased demand given so many folks are at home these days as well as supply pressures.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Treated outdoor lumber is in high demand as well.

West side of Columbus Lowe's has had the normal amount of outside equipment right on thru.
    don't shop the Lowe's in Lancaster anymore to know.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Treated outdoor lumber is in high demand as well.
    I know the local supplier in my community is having a hard time getting enough PT lumber to meet demand this summer. It seems everyone is doing decks since they are spending more time home. The Garden Centres are all sold out and closed and I hear the pool installation folks are booked solid. It seems at least some businesses are doing ok this year. Thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    My local Lowes didn't have a Square-D 30 Amp double pole breaker last Thursday and there were other bare spots on the shelves for electrical breakers. (Home Depot didn't have such a breaker either when I went on Friday). Lowes has half a dozen models of corded orbital sanders on display, but none for sale. It's been that way for several months. There are bare spaces on the rack for sanding discs. The local Sutherlands Hardware did not have the breaker. They were also out of roofing felt!
    I read that a Square D breaker plant in Mexico had a fire or something so there is a shortage of Square D breakers.

HD and Lowes seem to have their normal selection of lawn mowers, etc., outside, here just outside Nashville, TN.

I recently ordered a wood chipper from HD, about 6 weeks ago, and it arrived a week later.

Some states shut down logging as non essential for the duration but lumber mills could stay open since lumber is essential.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Some states shut down logging as non essential for the duration but lumber mills could stay open since lumber is essential.
    That makes so much sense. Do government officials know where lumber comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    In Ohio trees have to be cut down by a certain date which coincided with the shutdown this year, claim this is to protect a certain bat who nest in those trees in the spring. Then logging will resume sometime later this year, or may have already started back.

My wife decided suddenly to take up kayaking with a bunch of her co workers. Can't find a decent kayak for love or money. Used are selling for more than new MSRP. There isn't a bicycle to be had in this corner of the state, unless you are willing to steal one, and that has become even more common than before. I was at walmart yesterday and noticed empty shelves all over the place. I assume because foreign manufacturers were/are closed. Mrs. also wants a new SUV, we went looking and asked about 2021 models, when due in. Sales mgr told us maybe not until November and then just dribble into the country. Toyota dealer told us the same. Some power tools are hard to find. And now, one local hardware store, that had a good selection of hard to find items is going out of business. Means I will have to order on line and pay shipping for stuff like unwaxed shellac.