Thread: Lie Nielsen or vintage?

Lie Nielsen or vintage?

97975768-F5D2-41E6-8538-44A2AADD2B8C.jpg
    I like the idea of reusing vintage tools rather than fueling consumption by purchasing a new tool. Especially since Wood working is only a hobby to me. But for those of you that may be struggling, like I did whether to spend the bucks on a premium tool like this bronze smoother I can say that I have no regrets. Can vintage tools be deliver the same function, yes. And if I did not have the discretionary money to buy it I would definitely stick with vintage. I drive a 2000 dodge truck and I have never owned a brand new car but I have driven a new car And the difference between my old dodge and a new truck is a lot like the difference between an Lie Nielsen plane and a vintage Stanley. If you can spare the money, go ahead and treat yourself to a premium tool. Preferably one that you use most often. Life is short! To do it over again the only thing I might do differently is to go with the iron versus bronze. I like the heft and look of bronze but it’s easily dinged if you bump it against another iron tool on your bench. That is all. 😀

And then there are those who enjoy wiping off a shaving with a century-old tool in peak condition. Many of those folks also have a Lie-Nielsen or two.

Agreed. I had a full user set of Sweetheart era Stanley planes. All restored and fettled to achieve peak performance. When I experienced my first Lie Nielsen it took it to the next level. I still have my Stanley #3 and #7 but sold the rest and replaced them with a LN #4, #4 1/2, and #62. I love vintage tools. I like precision tools too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have a bronze smoother from Lie Neilson. I really like it a lot it’s my favorite plane on large surfaces.
    I wish they made a small version for my fine box making habit. I probably do have some scratches dings and dents. I would consider them natural from normal use.
    Since I'm the only one that uses the smoother there are no apprentice marks on it.

Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I have two Lie Nielson planes, but I have a set of Stanley Bedrocks with Veritas Irons and Breakers. They do an exceptional job.

I view buying Lie-Nielsen planes as a contribution to maintaining the craft of toolmaking. I want to keep them in business. You can experience the exhilarating whoosh of a full board length shaving if you purchase a plane, a sharpening guide, and a couple of stones from Lie-Nielsen. The experience does not come cheap. It is worth it, but check the budget before you succumb to the siren’s call.

I came under the Lie-Nielsen spell several years ago. I need to put some instructions in the will though about how to unload them all. I would roll over to see a $10 tag on my stunning #4 at my post mortem garage sale.

This is largely a matter of resources, capability and desire. Your dough, your choice. The old Stanley’s seem to have done pretty well. Hard to say otherwise. I chose to buy the LN. Back in the 90’s I stopped in at their showroom When I was just beginning to think of getting into woodworking. I chose to support LN and am very pleased over the years to have done so. That said, I like looking for older tools as well. They work. Nice having the choice, eh?

Blog Entries
    Lie-Nielsen and Veritas make fine planes. They are an improvement over the Stanley/Bailey and Bedrock planes. The modern planes are made with better materials and to a much higher degree of precision. The fit and finish are clearly better than something that has been sitting on a shelf most of the last century collecting dust.

With all that said, as ugly, chipped, scratched and worn as my vintage planes may be, they are still capable of doing an honest day's work.

Many of my vintage planes were purchased when my income was limited. This allowed me to accumulate more planes than would have been possible if my choice was to purchase Lie-Nielsen.

My Lie-Nielsen planes are mostly the difficult or expensive models if purchased as vintage.

I wish they made a small version for my fine box making habit.
    Andrew, when my projects turn to small boxes a #1 or #2 is often used. The #1 is still listed on the Lie-Nielsen site. Mine was purchased because it cost less than a Stanley/Bailey #1.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)