Thread: Best replacement tires For Delta 14 inch bandsaw

Best replacement tires For Delta 14 inch bandsaw

Time to replace the tires on my Delta 14 inch bandsaw. What tires do you all recommend?

Thanks, Roger in Texas

Over the yrs I have had several of those BS from 50's to 70's which I replace the tires with rubber. I always went with rubber cause no need to change what works after all these yrs since those BS been around for so long. The urethane tires has lots of supporters here so I guess its one's opinion which one is best. Urethane tires are made for those BS that run coolant but that was their only customers. So now they are now in WWing to make few more sales.

I like either the blue urethane one from Bandsaw Tire Warehouse or the rubber ones from Woodworker's Toolworks.

Geoff

I have no idea about "best", but the orange urethane ones have been working fine on mine for some number of years.

I used the blue urethane tires from Carter on one of my saws. Didn't like them at all. They were very thin, too narrow and didn't fit properly between the wheel flanges even though they were advertised for my specific machine. Carter makes some nice products but those aren't one of them.

On my other Delta 14", the orange original OEM tires are now looking like it may be time to change them after over 20 yrs. I'd like to find the same ones if I can locate any as they have lasted great all these years.

IMGP5333.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-01-2020 at 7:32 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

From many unsatisfied posts here and elsewhere, avoid the Carter ones. I've run the oranges ones from Sulphur Grove for many years. My next set will be from "Blue Max."

Coincidentally, I installed Blue Max tires on my 17" Griz today. They are thick, much thicker than the OEM tires. They were 48" long, and the old (loose) set was 52.375" -- so a lot of stretching was required to install them. I absolutely had to take the wheels off the saw. I trapped the wheel in the end vise of the workbench to hold it. I put the tires in near boiling water to soften them, and used a heat gun to warm the wheels so they didn't immediately suck the heat out of the tires. With all that, I was able to stretch them on by hand, then used the "tool" they send (a piece of dowel with a nail in it) to run around the perimeter and even out the stretch. Reassembled the saw and all seems good, though the test will be how things go over time.

Best,

Dave

I have used Bandsaw Tire Warehouse for an old Delta Homecraft saw. They found the right tires and they worked great

9. I found that a lot of the available tires are too thin and too narrow for optimum fit on my 14" delta. That includes the orange ones I tried. Some of the rubber ones were a little better, but not perfect. The ones I am running now are still a little thinner than the original ones and do not fill the space between the flanges on the edge.

My preference would be for tires that fit snugly between the flanges and were thick enough to have their top be above the flanges. It other words they should fill the space between the flanges in all dimensions. Not sure what tires that would be, but the tires my saw came with were like that. The orange urethane ones I bought are hanging on the shop wall because they missed that mark by a lot and the rubber ones that I then bought are more sufficient, but I am not crazy about them either. They work though so I probably will just keep using them.

I do not remember where I bought either from. It has been a number of years and my memory is hazy on that.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 08-02-2020 at 8:21 AM.

Thank you for all the replys. I have visited the websites for Bandsaw Tire Warehouse and Sulphur Grove but they do not specifically say they will fit my Model 28-203 14 inch Delta bandsaw manufactured in 1998. I have also checked the Iturra Design catalog published by Louis Iturra and he says that he makes urethane tires to fit the geneneric Delta 14 inch bandsaws. I am still searching and if anyone else has a recommendation please chime in.

Thanks, Roger in HOT Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    Thank you for all the replys. I have visited the websites for Bandsaw Tire Warehouse and Sulphur Grove but they do not specifically say they will fit my Model 28-203 14 inch Delta bandsaw manufactured in 1998. I have also checked the Iturra Design catalog published by Louis Iturra and he says that he makes urethane tires to fit the geneneric Delta 14 inch bandsaws. I am still searching and if anyone else has a recommendation please chime in.

Thanks, Roger in HOT Texas
    I have purchased several items from Louis Iturra and everything has been excellent. He's very helpful via the phone and it would be worth a call to discuss his urethane tires. I didn't realize that he offers tires and need to check into that now.
    Dick Mahany.

If you send an email to the guy at Bandsaw Warehouse and ask him I think he will make exactly what you want. I haven't dealt with Sulphur Grove but I'm thinking they would be equally receptive. I replaced the tires on my 19" Grizzly with Blue Max ones and they are great. I can balance a dime on edge, start the saw up, and shut it down without it falling over. With the stock tires a nickle wouldn't fall over but it would walk all over the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    I don't think that the size of tires used on Delta 14" bandsaws has changed over the past 80 years, but you can e-mail Bandsaw Tire Warehouse to confirm that their tires will work on your saw. I've had good experiences with them and with Iturra Design, so I expect you can get what you need from either place.

Geoff