Thread: Glad I bought the new Wolverine Sharpening System !!

Glad I bought the new Wolverine Sharpening System !!

OMG !!! This is going to get a lot of use !!! I just saw an ad for sharpening Turning tools ! They want over $7.00 to sharpen ONE WOODTURNING TOOL !! Just missing the Skew attachment !

I know I get a lot of use out of mine. The skew attachment is of limited use and I wouldn't spend the money again to get one. Most of the time I sharpen the skew with a diamond card and then a leather hone. Robo Hippy sells a tool rest platform for the wolverine setup that is repeatable for sharpening skews and scrapers. I've been meaning to get one. I made a number of plywood jigs for scraper sharpening but it's a real pain to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    OMG !!! This is going to get a lot of use !!! I just saw an ad for sharpening Turning tools ! They want over $7.00 to sharpen ONE WOODTURNING TOOL !! Just missing the Skew attachment !
    When I first started turning I paid someone to sharpen tools for a short time. A very short time, as it two sharpenings.

I never use a jig to sharpen a skew. I bought the Wolverine skew attachment and after one look threw it in a box.

I set the platform to the desired angle and sharpen the skew by hand, moving it straight across the wheel, alternating sides. (I use a 600 grit CBN wheel for skews.) Same thing for a skew with a radius, just turn it while moving across. Follow with honing to remove the grinder burr. Between sharpenings I hone a razor edge by drawing it across a piece of resawn MDF with polishing compound rubbed into the slightly rough surface.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I never use a jig to sharpen a skew. I bought the Wolverine skew attachment and after one look threw it in a box.

I set the platform to the desired angle and sharpen the skew by hand, moving it straight across the wheel, alternating sides. (I use a 600 grit CBN wheel for skews.) Same thing for a skew with a radius, just turn it while moving across. Follow with honing to remove the grinder burr. Between sharpenings I hone a razor edge by drawing it across a piece of resawn MDF with polishing compound rubbed into the slightly rough surface.

JKJ
    Me too - I have the skew attachment somewhere but just used the platform (and now the Roborest). Save your money for a different tool.
    Tom

I agree about the Robo rest. Love mine and leave it on the left side all the time. It's great for all sharpening especially those tiny 3/16 HSS bits I use in many of my hollowing tools. I have the Skew gizmo and I do like it every once in a while when I need to redo a skew.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .