Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article from Holtzwerken

Exclamation Interesting article from Holtzwerken

I construct that jig to make thru dovetails and it worked very well to me. It is in German but I guess you can follow it even with no German. I hope you you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/JA7orpFiR10

From magazine: http://www.holzwerken.net/HolzWerken...-der-Bandsaege
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

The usage of the two different spacer blocks is pretty smart.

Of course, I don't own a band saw so I won't be trying this any time soon. :-)

Interesting and well thought out band saw jig.

Thank you Osvaldo. That was an interesting video. Yes, I could follow it pretty well though I have no German.

I cut dovetails by hand. But this jig looks like a good approach for someone who prefers to use machines - or someone who has to make many drawers.

Best regards,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Guido Henn has several great videos on YT. Some produced for Festool as well as the HolzWerken ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I construct that jig to make thru dovetails and it worked very well to me. It is in German but I guess you can follow it even with no German. I hope you you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/JA7orpFiR10

From magazine: http://www.holzwerken.net/HolzWerken...-der-Bandsaege
    Mark Dugenskie first published this method about 30 years ago, along with how to cut them on the table saw. Both methods used spacer blocks. They can be variable sized, but they must be symetrical around center line.

I’ve cut Dovetails on my bandsaw really big ones. My table tilts left and right so there’s no need for a ramp or spacers blocks. The angle block that cuts the tails just need to match the tilt of the table.
    Does the felder bandsaw not have a tilting table?
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I’ve cut Dovetails on my bandsaw really big ones. My table tilts left and right so there’s no need for a ramp or spacers blocks. The angle block that cuts the tails just need to match the tilt of the table.
    The issue is to tilt to both left and right. All bandsaw I know have the table tilting to right only.

That is clever!

I saw Google translate pop up for English in the magazine version. Seems to work well. My German classes over 40 years ago are insufficient.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

It is not very easy to tilt table precisely same angle to match previous cut. At least on my bandsaw. Ramp always stay the same angle.
    ED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post

Building a ramp seems like the hard way to me . I just a digital tilt angle box. Every bandsaw I’ve owned tilts at least a little bit all one needs is 7 or 10 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

That's neat.

Dumb question: in the video, why does the bandsaw blade seem to get pushed backwards when first contacting the workpiece? It's like it doesn't have a rear guide. Is that common? That seems very inconvenient...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    That's neat.

Dumb question: in the video, why does the bandsaw blade seem to get pushed backwards when first contacting the workpiece? It's like it doesn't have a rear guide. Is that common? That seems very inconvenient...
    He was asked that in the comments to the video and said that he had just changed the blade things like this can happen during hectic video shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    He was asked that in the comments to the video and said that he had just changed the blade things like this can happen during hectic video shoots.
    Ah, thanks! My mind was trying to understand if "variable blade position" was some sort of German efficiency innovation I didn't know about