Thread: MM 16 bandsaw blade

MM 16 bandsaw blade

I have an older MM16 with a 145" blade. My 1" Trimaster blade just broke and I am trying to figure out what to replace it with. I'll mostly be using it for resawing and ripping. I tried a woodslicer and had a hard time getting it to track straight. I'd rather go with a thicker carbide blade. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve

Lenox woodmaster CT

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Lenox woodmaster CT
    Thanks Jamie. Would you go with 1.3tpi or 2tpi?

I mostly resaw. I use the 1.3.

Steve ... BEWARE the 'thick' CT band. I was running a CT .037 x 3/4 x 145 3 TPI in my 16" Laguna ... it cut wonderful for about 10 months. Then it just broke. When I took it out I could see that there was a crack at every gullet. I've been running a CT .025 x 1/2 x 145 x 3-4 TPI for about 14 months ... no problems.

Repeat after me: “Thou shalt never keep carbide blades under tension on the machine when not in use”.

I sold about eleventy-million 1.0” Lenox Tri-masters for MM16’s back in the day and never had issues unless someone violated the above rule.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Another vote for the Woodmaster CT 1" x 1.3 tpi. Alternatively, the 3/4" x 2 tpi is a little more versatile and easier to tension.

John

i've been running a 1" laguna resaw king on my mm16 (after several years of the trimaster) specifically for resawing veneers- it has been a great blade. i do de-tension each time after use.
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Repeat after me: “Thou shalt never keep carbide blades under tension on the machine when not in use”.

I sold about eleventy-million 1.0” Lenox Tri-masters for MM16’s back in the day and never had issues unless someone violated the above rule.

Erik
    I was religious about de-tensioning the blade after every use. I must have had a bad one. It did last quite a while though and always performed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bagi View Post
    I was religious about de-tensioning the blade after every use. I must have had a bad one. It did last quite a while though and always performed well.
    How old would you say that blade was, Steve? Just curious. I have a lot more hands-on experience with Tri-masters than Woodmaster CT's but have prematurely killed carbides by trying to resaw things I shouldn't have been with that blade. As in, "Was working fine, then did some unwise cutting and broke it"-type situations.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    How old would you say that blade was, Steve? Just curious. I have a lot more hands-on experience with Tri-masters than Woodmaster CT's but have prematurely killed carbides by trying to resaw things I shouldn't have been with that blade. As in, "Was working fine, then did some unwise cutting and broke it"-type situations.

Erik
    Hey Erik. Probably ten years old. I'm a hobbyist so it didn't a ton of use. I hadn't used it in probably a year. I needed to resaw some walnut so I tensioned the blade and fired up the saw. I immediately noticed the blade was pulsing front to back. Turns out the blade was cracked halfway through.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bagi View Post
    Hey Erik. Probably ten years old. I'm a hobbyist so it didn't a ton of use. I hadn't used it in probably a year. I needed to resaw some walnut so I tensioned the blade and fired up the saw. I immediately noticed the blade was pulsing front to back. Turns out the blade was cracked halfway through.
    As a hobbyist I also use my bandsaw infrequently.

IMO under a such situation it isn't worth to have very expensive blades. I use Lenox/Starrett and Makita regular blades. They have a good temper for the teeth. I am plenty glad with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    As a hobbyist I also use my bandsaw infrequently.

IMO under a such situation it isn't worth to have very expensive blades. I use Lenox/Starrett and Makita regular blades. They have a good temper for the teeth. I am plenty glad with them.
    I've read that some folks were unhappy with Timberwolves but they were my favorite budget blade during the bandsaw days.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep