Thread: Toy Wooden Lawnmower

Question Toy Wooden Lawnmower

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has a lead or some wisdom on the following issue with parts for a wooden lawnmower I am going to make with my son.

I was intending to hack the wheels off an old wagon, stroller, or pram, or even a real lawnmower. I would attach those wheels to a metal or wood axle that would pass through the wooden box (the lawnmower body). I need to make the rotational action of the wheels forward on that axle translate into a rotation of a central shaft up through the middle of the wooden box. That will operate a spinning disc that will make a flapping noise above the box and will spin wooden "blades" below. Of course, I'd need wooden or metal parts that would set those discs and parts in their place, too.

I don't really know what or where to search for these kinds of things online or in-store (Toronto, Canada). And I think that once I get a look at the options I'll be able to more easily design the central shaft mechanism.

Blog Entries
    You could use urethane belts to create a drive for your lawn mower similar to this:
    twisted-belts.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute