Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MDF or Baltic Birch torsion box top?

Jon, I have no idea what the standards are. I just know that what you showed in those photos would have "caused bad words" if I paid good money for custom panels...unless there was full disclosure in advance. I may have even uttered one or more of those words when first saw your pictures. Some places might say that the buyer "should know" but if the buyer isn't a regular, it sure would be courteous to mention the "Ground Rules" before the game commences.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I think the supplier has a valid point, as long as you can trim it & get a full 4x8 sheet out of it. But they should have made it clear when you ordered it. The $50 refund was a fair gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jon, I have no idea what the standards are. I just know that what you showed in those photos would have "caused bad words" if I paid good money for custom panels...unless there was full disclosure in advance. I may have even uttered one or more of those words when first saw your pictures. Some places might say that the buyer "should know" but if the buyer isn't a regular, it sure would be courteous to mention the "Ground Rules" before the game commences.
    lol, there was no full disclosure, and the response after the sale was less than stellar from the veteran rep (vp's words, not mine). I read what the VP's name was on their about us and then guessed what her email was, swapped out adam@xyz with Laura@xyz, lmao.

Since i asked 20 questions prior to the sale, a good sales rep would have notified me of this (maybe i'm the first newb customer they ever had that was shocked by the quality, or they just don't care to learn from their mistakes).

Live and learn. now i just need to decide if I use these panels for the intended project or use them for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I think the supplier has a valid point, as long as you can trim it & get a full 4x8 sheet out of it. But they should have made it clear when you ordered it. The $50 refund was a fair gesture.
    I wonder if that's their work around for making inferior panels, or if that truly is an industry standard. When i start my own panel laminating business (HA!), they'll cover the whole core AND come pre flush trimmed! Winning over the woodworking community, 1 panel at a time. lol

Thanks for your input Frank and Jim.

Blog Entries
    This got me curious, so I just had a quick look online & both Formica & Wisonart come in standard sheet sizes in 12" increment, ie width: 36", 48", 60" & length: 96", 120", 144". So it wouldn't make sense to completely cover a 97" x 49" sheet of MDF.

So now we know.

well this company probably gets special sized ones because both sheets are definately not off by 1" on two edges.

Its almost flush on the 49" side (actually a bit wider than 49") and off by 1/8-1/4" on the long side. The same amount its overhanging on the other side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    well this company probably gets special sized ones because both sheets are definately not off by 1" on two edges.

Its almost flush on the 49" side (actually a bit wider than 49") and off by 1/8-1/4" on the long side. The same amount its overhanging on the other side.
    Well, if that's the case, then it's just poor management on their part. Makes no sense.