Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best quality shapers w/ small(er) footprint...

Best quality shapers w/ small(er) footprint...

So getting ready to close my shop this summer and trying to figure out what to keep and what has to go. My Martin and SCM shapers unfortunately are too big to keep, so they're going to have to move on. For the next few years the only "shop" space I'll have is in the basement which is a typical older New England style basement.... dark, damp, low ceilings and access through a door built for a hobbit. So anything I need for equipment has to fit through that entrance, and the big shapers just won't fit. Besides it really wouldn't make sense trying to power up 7 and 8 hp machines in a basement. So I'm trying to come up with alternatives. One option is to keep my Lin-Mac, an Asian made shaper thats pretty stout. It's only 3 hp which is a plus, and its tilting another plus. It's table is as large as the bigger shapers but is removable, and the base is much smaller allowing for it to fit. The downsides are the fence is really garbage and I hate setting it, and I only have a 3/4" spindle and a router collet for it which means having to get a 1-1/4" spindle made for it, as well as a phase converter of some sort. So its one viable option.

I'm curious to get others input on the possibility of a smaller footprint machine though. Not at all interested in Delta or Powermatic machines, have had both so know them well. Too light duty for my needs. Also not looking for older American made machines, like Northfields, Olivers etc.. Great machines, but don't have the flexibility I'd like. I'm looking for something not too much larger with interchangeable spindes, capability of running router bits, and something that has a decent fence. In a perfect world I could take a shrink ray and shrink the Martin down to fit. I know there are some decent modern European machines out there just haven't had any firsthand experience with them, but figured this would be the place to ask those who have. So what do folks recommend? Is there anything out there that would satisfy, or is it just a pipe dream?

thanks,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    Jeff, I have no experience here but I’ve been passively looking for a older Frommia to eventually replace my router table. They appear stout and without consuming a huge footprint.

My determining factor for bringing a machine into the basement is the weight of the base once everything is removed. I wanted to bring the Maka into the basement but the base was heavy enough to snap the foot off of my hand truck and popped one of the tires so I decided not to test the load rating of my stairs and leave it in the garage.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Scmi T110 is a nice size but perhaps too big a motor for your circuitry. Maybe a MiniMax T40 or T50 would be available in 5 hp single phase. I think Peter Quinn mas one of those, maybe he will post. After that, Felder? Bridgewood (long gone) had some fairly decent looking mid-size shapers that are probably still available, maybe under other brands like Sunhill, etc.

Sorry to hear you are closing up, I have enjoyed seeing your projects here and on Woodweb. Best of luck with the home shop.

Jeff, are the Felder 700 or older 7 series shapers too big for your basement? They are as versatile as a mid size shaper can be- same for MM mid size machines. The single phase motors are usually in the 4 hp range. Dave

I would suggest a Hammer F3, I have the B3.

The F3 is 4HP, 4 speed, tilting spindle with a sliding table.

I have a stock feeder, a tenon table and hood and a curve guard.

It comes stock with a 2 function Shaw guard.

I have the 1.25” and 30mm spindles since most tooling in the world is metric, and it let’s me use the Schleifix sanding drums........Rod

I have a Felder f700z single phase 4hp variable speed. It’s not terrible heavy and if the choice was dictated by single phase as was when I purchased it I would hands down choosemthis machine over any other than maybe a Minimax.

It’s plenty fine for basic cabinetry work and the occasional millwork type cuts.

I might be willing to trade you for the t21..?

Brian, I'm not as worried about weight as it's only 3 concrete steps. Of course weight is still an issue, but one I can deal with within reason.

Kevin, thanks appreciate it. I'm closing the shop and so won't be doing large projects, kitchens etc anymore, but may still post a smaller project or two in the future. I think the T-110's are similar in size to my Martin. Nice machines, but not going to fit. I'll have to look into the Mini-Max machines to see what they're about.

David, I haven't seen on in person so it's one of those I'll need to look into and check dimensions.

Rod, does your Hammer also have the ability to utilize a router bit collet? It's something I find quite handy to have.

Patrick, I'll look into the Felder dimensions as well. Does yours have router bit collet capability? The three phase thing isn't a big deal, I'll have other machines I'm keeping that I'll have to tackle that issue with as well. I wouldn't rule out a trade, I'm still early in the planning stages, but will keep in mind.

thanks guys!
    Jeff

Jeff, the Felder 700 series has a router collet available but they are expensive unless you get them with the machine. 15000 rpm is the top limit. Knapp made a mid size shaper that had a router collet that ran up to 23000. Knapp machines are rare but it would fit your bill and likely be cheap if you found one. You are so used to heavy builds, it will be interesting to get your take on light duty machinery. Keep us ( me ) in the loop. Dave

Northfield shapers have a pretty small footprint. Excellent shapers, but not really intended for constant set up changes, so probably not a great fit use wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I might be willing to trade you for the t21..?
    Remember that time you went through a tablesaw nose to tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

Rod, does your Hammer also have the ability to utilize a router bit collet? It's something I find quite handy to have.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, mine doesn't however with the MF spindle system the new Hammer shapers do have interchangeable spindles, and a router collet spindle.

One other item is that there are 2 lengths of table extensions available for the in and outfeed, something that's handy. I often use a table extension when doing insertion molding so I can attach stops to the tables.....Rod.

Blog Entries
    I was looking at the Minimax TW55es for a little while, I believe it can be had in single phase. The motor that SCM puts into most of their single phase machines is managable. (5hp~)

Big HP is difficult to manage on single phase since it requires huge wiring and a giant circuit.

I have some experience with German machines now but not a lot, I think they are awesome stout beasts but the Minimax machines don’t let me down at all.

Still..,,might be cheaper to have a structural steel guy make a new opening in the wall and build an industrial dumb waiter system...,,just saying
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-25-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

David, good to know on the Felder. Not too worried about the top speed though. Top speed on the SCM is 10k and I'm not partial to it.... sounds like an airplane taking off or something and gives me a little shiver when I run it that fast On the Lin-Mac I think I run maybe 6 or 8k with the router collet. The stuff I do on it doesn't usually require a higher speed like a router. As far as lighter machines.... thats going to be the real challenge in this transition. I am seriously considering keeping the 20" Delta bandsaw and just shoehorning it into the basement! Not on par with some of my other equipment, but she does the job and I'd hate to be stuck with a smaller saw.

Martin, I believe your right on both accounts. Great machines but just don't have the flexibility I'm after.

Rod, I'm not too worried about the table extensions. I have a set of Aigner extension tables that are really handy for long work. If your not familiar with them you may want to give them a look. You can pop them onto just about any machine in your shop quickly and easily. I use them on the shaper, the bandsaw, and the jointer.

thanks guys, this at least helps narrow my focus on the search. Still a lot of homework to do though.
    Jeff

Logosol has a really cool little shaper. Not even sure if available in the US or the cost. The shaft moves and tilts all the way over like the Hofmann. And can be used as a router, drill or mortiser. I played with one at a show and seemed to be built and engineered well for a small machine.

Jeff,

Did you ever solve this conundrum? I’m in a similar place (space wise) and came across this thread when researching shapers.
    Still waters run deep.