Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conflicting pocket hole screw side

conflicting pocket hole screw side

I thought if you were joining two pieces, that the screw was supposed to come from the outside of the board and screw to the inside of the next board, like this photo below.
    kreg good.jpg

Why then does KREG have all sorts of photos showing the opposite?
    kreg bad.png

I thought the first was much stronger than the other.

I put the pocket where it isn't seen.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    If its not going to be seen on either side, which would you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Same here. I've done it both ways depending on the specific project. If I need it completely hidden, I'll use Dominos.
    Dick Mahany.

I always drill the pockets like the first image. If the pocket is going to be seen, and I care about the looks, I plug the pocket with 9mm dowel glued in and trimmed flush.

when building cabinet carcas, how often do you put a screw, every 4 inches, 6 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    The easiest to get too.

That's often the outside, but not always.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    In that case I would go from the outside since the screw tip would enter a bit more material but, this could be subjective. I have scarfed long pieces together with pocket holes. They can be a great problem solver when used outside the box (no pun intended).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Structurally it is stronger when from outside but usually it isn't a issue as most of the times I combined both pocket screws and glue.

I use the face less visible with preference to outside one when both are equally options.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Structurally it is stronger when from outside but usually it isn't a issue as most of the times I combined both pocket screws and glue.

I use the face less visible with preference to outside one when both are equally options.
    when you glue and pocket hole screw, do you also clamp the two pieces together, and leave the clamps on until its dry? Or do you just use the clamps to hold everything in place, then once the pocket hole screws are driven in, you take the clamps off?

Reason i'm asking, I don't yet have an arsenal of clamps in the 24-32" long range. I'm wondering if its totally acceptable to just use 2 clamps to hold the glued boards together, screw it together, then remove clamps and move on to other sides of the carcasses.

Blog Entries
    I have never tried pocket holes at an angle. My pocket hole jig does not allow
    Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have never tried pocket holes at an angle. My pocket hole jig does not allow
    Hmmm.
    i'm confused.... I thought pocket holes were always drilled at an angle through the base of a board that's then drilled at an angle through the board below it.....

Does your pocket hole jig drill holes perpendicular to the board face?

Blog Entries
    I only drill pocket holes on flat surfaces. If I have a joint that is not square I use a wood screw and fill the hole. My pocket holes will have plugs in them and finished smooth.

when you glue and pocket hole screw, do you also clamp the two pieces together, and leave the clamps on until its dry? Or do you just use the clamps to hold everything in place, then once the pocket hole screws are driven in, you take the clamps off?

Reason i'm asking, I don't yet have an arsenal of clamps in the 24-32" long range. I'm wondering if its totally acceptable to just use 2 clamps to hold the glued boards together, screw it together, then remove clamps and move on to other sides of the carcasses.
    If I use pocket screw and glue I did not maintain other clamps after attach the screws. Yes - they are used to save clamps or cope with a small number of clamps.

For my surprise I knew a couple of woodworkers that take off the screws after the glue is set. It is useful to save screws or to avoid some unpleased surprise to find a screw point when finishing the outside...
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

It *might* be stronger to fix MDF from the outside of the joint, as shown in the first image.

Pull out resistance of screws comes from the fibers entwined in the screw threads : appropriate predrilling makes a huge difference.

MDF doesn't have long fibers.