Thread: Seems I’m collecting blue springs

Seems I’m collecting blue springs

I had a SawStop event today which triggered the safety. First time I had run the saw since removing the dado set. I had one of the red Freud blades on it that had just had a tooth replaced due to a previous meat head move (the last 6” of an 8’ 2x6 were wet). My SIL who is a fine guy but very inexperienced in a shop helpfully ran a tape across the table for some reason while the saw was running, but the tape hit the blade and boom. SawStops are very reliable. Operators and observers, not so much. I am very careful in cartridge installation. I cannot figure what happened here today. I fired up the saw and was cutting an 18” Cedar 1x6. Got about a foot into it and it triggered. I just ordered two new cartridges. Having only a single apparently does not work. If things ever open up again and the woodworking shows open up you can recognize me by the necklace of Blue Springs I will be wearing...If I can keep them away from the Grandkids. So proud! Just so proud!

Blog Entries
    For some, bypass can be a better 'regular' instead of 'test' mode .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Can you send it to SawStop and see if they can tell you anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Can you send it to SawStop and see if they can tell you anything?
    IIRC, sawstop requests on the website or in the user manual that you return tripped cartridges for analysis.....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My sawstop trigger has been acting a little strange lately. When I put my cross cut sled in place, the red light will flash and continue to flash. If I power the saw off an on, not the blade start switch, with the sled still in place, it runs the check pretty quickly and clears.

I've been using this sled and blade for about 5 years without this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    My sawstop trigger has been acting a little strange lately. When I put my cross cut sled in place, the red light will flash and continue to flash. If I power the saw off an on, not the blade start switch, with the sled still in place, it runs the check pretty quickly and clears.

I've been using this sled and blade for about 5 years without this issue.
    Might want to double check the clearance adjustment; maybe it is on the hairy edge so putting the sled on deflects the blade just enough to annoy the sense circuit?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I will return this new brake/blade...creation to SS. When i pulled this one I see that the brake ate the blade about 3 teeth past the replaced tooth. Perhaps that tooth was high. I am careful on the settings. Chris when I first got the SS I pretty quickly activated mine too. I have an Accumiter with that long aluminum bar. Discussion with SS and they gave me the rookie learning curve free cartridge and told me to give a bit more clearance from the AM to the blade. Haven't had that problem since. I had a '48 Unisaw, same vintage as me, which I had replaced the motor, new electrics and arbor assembly on. After getting the SS as a gift from my daughter I gave a friend in need the Unisaw. It was a great saw and I miss it. The SS is excellent, but I miss that Unisaw.

Waiting...! Not patiently at this point. I ordered two SS cartridges from Rockler on 8/1, which shipped immediately. Product arrives in Sacramento in a couple days and disappears in the postal system. I am a hobbyist, but waiting two weeks for a part? I ordered a part from Rinnai, with whom I have a long relationship and they typically get me parts in three days max. 12 days and counting. I do feel for you pros in this situation. I have gone out to assorted large company vendors in my area, P&H, HVAC, Electrical suppliers and building supply. All say the same thing. Delay, delay, delay. Looks like I'll have to do the 60 mi to Rockler to pick one up.