Thread: Rob Cosman Bench

Rob Cosman Bench

Looking at Robs MDF top work bench. I’m kind of thinking about building one. Has anyone here built one?
    Any experience with MDF laminated tops ?
    The plywood base is something I might change. Seems like the plywood wouldn’t be Heavy enough.
    Opinions ?
    I need a work bench with vises and dogs. At this point I’m not thinking a full blown maple bench. I see a lot of benches made with dimension lumber but thinking their going to move a lot , especially the top.

I had an Mdf bench for about 10 years. It was on a construction lumber base. The top was 6 feet by 2 feet with a 9 inch quick release and a tail vise. I used 4 layers of 3/4 inch MDF. It was very heavy and very durable. Never had any problems with it. I needed a new vise, so I decided to make a new bench.

I’ve never seen the Rob Cosman bench but I’ve been using a laminated MDF top for almost 20 years. I made mine with a tempered hardboard top layer. I just kind of made it up as I went and used 4 layers of 3/4” since that’s what I could get out of the sheet lol! It’s plenty heavy and has stayed flat. The hardboard has worn well but is too slippery for my tastes. I lust over the hardwood beauties I see here but mine works ok considering the price and ease of construction. I have a Veritas twin screw vice on one end and a single screw on the front. I found drilling holes in MDF for bench dogs unsatisfying but I do have a couple rows. I made a hardwood base as I was gifted some heavy beams from a farm equipment shop. I’ve had benches out of plywood and construction lumber and much preferred the MDF but for full disclosure, I do have some ash drying with a new bench in mind. Good luck!

I don't have any answers to your direct questions but the Cosman benches seem to be a proven design with an emphasis on low cost, minimal skill level to build and performance. He admits that it's not the perfect bench but an excellent starter, perhaps useful toward building a better one when skills improve and more resources are available. I don't see any problem with using alternative materials if they are more available but if not I would stick with what he suggests. I doubt most would not be able to out think his design. I was thinking of building one myself in advance of rebuilding my existing workbench, which uses more expensive materials.

Building with 2x lumber can work out well. If you install a shelf underneath you can load it with heavy stuff to give it gravitas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I need a work bench with vises and dogs. At this point I’m not thinking a full blown maple bench. I see a lot of benches made with dimension lumber but thinking their going to move a lot , especially the top.
    If you use something like doug fir or SYP, you should be stable once it has dried. You can get a head start if you find reclaimed.
    Both MIke Siemsen (The Naked Woodworker DVD) and Paul Sellers have pretty simple plans for construction lumber benches.

Did you read Chris Schwarz' Anarchist Workbench? (they offer the PDF for free; they survey a number of benches they have experience with)

Have fun!

I used a "repurposed" (from the dumpster) solid core door with a top layer of tempered hardboard and has worked well for 25yrs.