Thread: Palclear

Palclear

So I got this email about this Palclear. Didn't get a clear understanding of what it was from the email. So I got on live chat with a "SO CALLED PALCLEAR EXPERT" I ask if this is safe to cut with a laser. Oh yes she says and it cuts very nicely. I said but it says its PVC sort of. She says yes its like that but different. I ask for the data safety sheet and she gives me a link . Tell me what you think...Product Safety Data Sheet (PSDS) for Palram Rigid PVC Products.pdf
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It says "Rigid Poly Vinyl Chloride sheets".
    That would negate an order from me as far as cutting or engraving.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Section 5.5. Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards
    "PVC [...at] high temperatures decomposes emitting large quantities of HCl". HCl or Hydrogen Chloride is a colourless gas which forms white fumes of hydrochloric acid upon contact with atmospheric water vapor. Even in the absence of water, hydrogen chloride can still act as an acid and is a corrosive substance, but particularly in the presence of moisture. That's what makes it so bad for lasering... the fumes can attack and corrode everything in the machine, and anything it reaches as you exhaust the fumes from your machine.

It says its CAS number is 9002-86-2, and that by definition is PVC and so falls under the "don't laser" category.

My point was the company expert is telling us its ok to laser when we know full well its not
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander