Thread: Terminology printed on cans for can lights -

Terminology printed on cans for can lights -

The "cans" for recessed lights can be rated as "IC" or "non-IC", but is this terminology printed somewhere on the product? In looking at Halo brand cans, I haven't found such notation on them.

A Home Depot description of a Halo can https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-H7-...6-PK/203891884 says:

designed for new construction installations where the housing will be in direct contact with ceiling insulation
    This recessed light can fixture is NOT Air-Tite rated
    That doesn't use the abbreviation "IC" or the phrase "Insulation Contact rated" and it does mention a rating called "Air-Tite".

IC means covered with insulation the can will not overheat and burn down the house. Old lights were not IC and they had to be uncovered in the attic with no insulation touching or on top.
    Air tite means they are sealed so no conditioned air leaks up into the attic.
    Those are two different things. To be honest with led lights IC is probably easy to meet.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    IC means covered with insulation the can will not overheat and burn down the house. Old lights were not IC and they had to be uncovered in the attic with no insulation touching or on top.
    Air tite means they are sealed so no conditioned air leaks up into the attic.
    Those are two different things. To be honest with led lights IC is probably easy to meet.
    Bil lD
    Well, yes, but my question is whether the things printed on the can itself tell whether it is IC or not. Is the abbreviation "IC" actually used somewhere - for example in the printing that gives the Underwriters Lab info? Or is some other symbol or acronym used instead of "IC"?

To me "Air-Tite" sounds like terminology made up by the Halo company to suggest the phrase "air tight" but do it in proprietary language. Other descriptions of can lights (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Sunco-Lightin...50&s=hi&sr=1-6 ) use the phrase "Air Tight". Do the capital letters indicate an Underwriters Lab standard?

Might want to ask over at green building advisor. But be prepared for a thousand reasons you should just use low profile surface mount LEDs and forget about the cans. And you should listen to those reasons
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

IME the "Air Tight" cans just have weatherstripping at the rim, so they're really just less leaky
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    The "air tight" cans do not meet local building code requirements here (Alberta) so you still have to use vapor hats with them. Check with your local AHJ.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    IME the "Air Tight" cans just have weatherstripping at the rim, so they're really just less leaky
    Yes, and they slap a few pieces of foil over the bigger holes in the top of the can, but they are still really leaky. Plus the rim weatherstripping doesn't work when the ceiling has texture, and at least in this part of the country, a lot of them have texture.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Where it says they are designed to be in contact with insulation is layman’s terminology for IC. Probably too many people didn’t understand IC so they spelled it out.