Thread: Has there ever been an oilstone wheel made for a wet grinder?

Has there ever been an oilstone wheel made for a wet grinder?

Just wondering if there has ever been for example, a 10 inch diameter Arkansas Oil stone wheel made for use in a wet grinder ? Seems to me that a 10 inch Arkansas oilstone wheel used in a wet grinder, would last a lot longer than the wheels used in wet grinders now. The one I had on my old Delta wet grinder , lasted only 6 Months.

I need to watch this thread

I have never seen an Arkansas stone as a grinding wheel of any sort. Also, wet grinders that I have seen generally use water, not oil, so I do not really expect to see one.

I purchased my Tormek used years ago and I am still on my original stone. For the Tormek, you can get:

• Standard Grindstone ($200)
    • Japanese Waterstone (much finer than the grindstone) ($400)
    • Silicon stone for "exotic alloyed steel" Now that should last a while. ($220)
    • Diamond wheels with grits 360, 600, or 1200 ($300)

I have seen Arkansas stone grinding wheels, but they were rather small and not related to sharpening in my mind, for example this one. An interesting write-up / description, and it is made from the powder and is not really a natural stone, so what is the point.

https://qtena.com/hard-arkansas-ston...le-p-7538.html

or little burs, not sure if these are stone or again powder composite as above

https://www.eternaltools.com/white-arkansas-stone-burrs

I think that a diamond wheel would hold up well. When I eventually wear out my existing Tormek stone, I will have some decisions to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I need to watch this thread

I have never seen an Arkansas stone as a grinding wheel of any sort. Also, wet grinders that I have seen generally use water, not oil, so I do not really expect to see one.

I purchased my Tormek used years ago and I am still on my original stone. For the Tormek, you can get:

• Standard Grindstone ($200)
    • Japanese Waterstone (much finer than the grindstone) ($400)
    • Silicon stone for "exotic alloyed steel" Now that should last a while. ($220)
    • Diamond wheels with grits 360, 600, or 1200 ($300)

I have seen Arkansas stone grinding wheels, but they were rather small and not related to sharpening in my mind, for example this one. An interesting write-up / description, and it is made from the powder and is not really a natural stone, so what is the point.

https://qtena.com/hard-arkansas-ston...le-p-7538.html

or little burs, not sure if these are stone or again powder composite as above

https://www.eternaltools.com/white-arkansas-stone-burrs

I think that a diamond wheel would hold up well. When I eventually wear out my existing Tormek stone, I will have some decisions to make
    I removed my Tormek diamond wheel and went back to using either the standard wheel or my old CBN wheel. The Tomek diamond wheel left such a rough grind it was very hard to hone.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I removed my Tormek diamond wheel and went back to using either the standard wheel or my old CBN wheel. The Tomek diamond wheel left such a rough grind it was very hard to hone.

ken
    Which one did you have? They seem to have three (360, 600, 1200).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Which one did you have? They seem to have three (360, 600, 1200).

Andrew,

The 360, I expected to use it to grind and to use the side surface. It does grind but really not much if any faster than the 180 CBN wheel and leaves an almost unusable surface with really deep scratches and a saw tooth edge that takes removal of a lot of metal to smooth out. The side surface for my use turned out to be unusable. Kinda a bust all around, of course YMMV.

ken

ken

I guess I had better hide that wet wheel machine by WEN.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I guess I had better hide that wet wheel machine by WEN.....
    Do you have one? Do you like it? The price is pretty good.... I wonder if you can use Tormek stuff with it.

IMG_5000 (640x480).jpg
    Was free at an estate sale a while back...seems more directed at knives and such....haven't tried it on chisels ..welcome to it.

Wow, have never seen anything like it.....