Thread: This Just Ain't Right

Blog Entries

This Just Ain't Right

Dodgers 4 Astros 2 in 13 innings

In a rules change for the coronavirus pandemic-shortened season, a runner is placed on second base at the start of every extra half-inning to promote scoring and shorten the game. (A similar rule has been used in the minor leagues.)

So Ríos’ blast actually happened with a teammate aboard, making him the first major leaguer to hit a two-run home run to lead off an inning, according to MLB.com.
    Hope this rule goes away before real baseball comes back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We had a better one on July 25. KC Royals won in the 10th. Ghost runner scores on a sac bunt and a sac fly, so a winning run on NO Official At-Bats!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    We had a better one on July 25. KC Royals won in the 10th. Ghost runner scores on a sac bunt and a sac fly, so a winning run on NO Official At-Bats!
    I bet this has happened many times before, as neither a walk nor a hit batsman counts as an official at bat.

I hope the NL does not keep the designated hitter after this season, but I bet it will. Things change, but I still love baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I bet this has happened many times before, as neither a walk nor a hit batsman counts as an official at bat.

Yes, but the ghost runner is what makes it "not baseball".

Blog Entries
    Really, can a ghost runner be tagged out at third?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Dodgers 4 Astros 2 in 13 innings

Hope this rule goes away before real baseball comes back.

jtk
    So does the pitcher get dinged for 2 earned runs or just 1 as the ghost runner was not his fault?

You're right. Sorry for the pedantic reply.

It gets worse - MLB announced yesterday that double-headers will now be two 7 inning games. What is happening???

It's not baseball if the pitcher doesn't have to bat. They're doing everything they can to take strategy and interest out of the game.

OTOH, games run 30-45 min longer than when I was young. I enjoyed them more when they were shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    It's not baseball if the pitcher doesn't have to bat.
    Maybe, but that ship sailed nearly 50 years ago: no matter how you stand on the issue, half of MLB has been doing it wrong half a century.

The differences in rules between AL and NL never made sense, compounded by the (relatively) recent introduction of regular-season interleague play.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    That's hardly the oddest thing that can happen: google "walk-off strikeout".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    What is happening???
    I hear there's some kind of bug going around.

At the rate things are going, the last team that can field nine COVID-negative players will be declared the World Series champions.

Blog Entries
    Our Astros are still deservedly experiencing repercussions from the sign stealing incident.
    However I must say Go Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Our Astros are still deservedly experiencing repercussions from the sign stealing incident.
    However I must say Go Astros.
    Maybe MLB says it was no big deal since their punishment wasn't even a slap on the wrist but most people feel otherwise. Every sensible person realizes it was a huge edge for the cheaters. In most any other sport if you were found to have used artificial means to gain an advantage you would be stripped of your title. Why weren't the players punished the same as if they were to test positive for a PED? The team didn't get squat for it. The manager was scape goated but while they allowed it they were only one piece of the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    It gets worse - MLB announced yesterday that double-headers will now be two 7 inning games. What is happening???
    What is happening? The Tigers can now drop a double header faster than ever. Like today.They lost two games in 14 innings. Had a feeling they would make the record books. Somehow.

-Tom