Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V3000 heats up garage

Steven B.,

This is kind of a trick question or trick situation.

When I was in Engineering freshman physics we covered the "black box" scenario. The black box was a sealed environment where everything that you put into it is still there in one form or another. So, if we have a black box that has a variety of things in it such as an air conditioner, a light bulb, a 99% efficient motor, and a dust collector, etc., and it draws (for example) 10 amps at 220 vac (RMS) how much of the power is converted to heat? The correct answer is all of it! The garage of the OP is basically a black box. All of the power going in is still there and converted to heat. So, unfortunately, your comment was not correct. But you are not alone and I'm not singling you out.

I think that if the OP could vent outside that the kinetic energy of the high speed air, etc., would go outside (the black box) and it would reduce the temperature rise. In addition, air leaks in her garage will let in cooler air to replace the air that is getting exhausted.

Steve, essentially all the energy supplied to the motor is converted into heat, so somewhere from 1,500 to 2,500 watts, that’s a lot of heat in the summer.

Of course there is also gain from outside however the cyclone sure adds to the shop…..Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Steve, essentially all the energy supplied to the motor is converted into heat, so somewhere from 1,500 to 2,500 watts, that’s a lot of heat in the summer.

Of course there is also gain from outside however the cyclone sure adds to the shop…..Rod.
    Rod, I don't disagree. Around here we even heat underground well houses in the winter with a single 100 watt light bulb which will do an acceptable job to keep the frost out.

Temps can be extremely different in a tall room, top to bottom. In an uninsulated attic here for example, temps often approach 150 degrees F (65.5 C), while a concrete slab floor is generally closer to 60 degrees F (15.5 C). A tall building, like a garage, will have some degree of that, and a dust collector will turn all that air over quickly, so the average temperature felt in the lower 6' of the room will dramatically increase. If the top half of a 14' ceiling room is at 100F, and the floor at 60F, turning the air over will make the working zone all of a sudden feel like it's 80 degrees instead of the 70 it felt like before if the air was consistently layered.

Most hobby shops and even my pro shop, don't usually see motors running continuously. In my shop, we have an assortment of tools, some generating more heat than others. I'd guess the average watts lost to heat would be something closer to 200 watts based on the Kw charge from the power company for my shop. I think the t8's in my shop waste more electricity than the tools use usually. In a big shop, that's not much but you are right, it is happening.

I do notice this very thing happening in my shop when it's hot out.

I have a 5hp cyclone in a 4x8 closet. It gets very warm in the closet. I have a large duct snaked through the trusses above the ceiling to return air to the shop.

I don't notice any significant heating in the shop, even in the spring and fall when the HVAC is not running. I suspect part of the reason is the volume of air in the shop: 24'x62' with 10' ceilings. A smaller garage shop might get quite a bit warmer.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a 5hp cyclone in a 4x8 closet. It gets very warm in the closet.
    JKJ
    I'm wondering if I should reconsider enclosing my soon-to-be-installed V3000 in a sound deadening enclosure. I was going to use pink foam board, wood studs and drywall.

Could it generate too much heat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I'm wondering if I should reconsider enclosing my soon-to-be-installed V3000 in a sound deadening enclosure. I was going to use pink foam board, wood studs and drywall.

Could it generate too much heat?
    As long as you have the exhaust air flowing through the closet, either to the outside or back into the shop, then there will be no worries about over heating.

Building a sound deadening room is a great idea, but pink foam board is expensive and a very poor sound attenuator. Fiberglass, or better yet, mineral wool will do a much better job & be a lot cheaper. Multiple layers of drywall will do even more to deaden the sound.

I built an insulated room for my DC & I can stand 1m from the door with the remote & cannot even hear when it turns on & off.

Good tips. Thanks Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

So, how much of the energy is used to move the air and where does that energy go?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    So, how much of the energy is used to move the air and where does that energy go?
    A large part of the shaft output of the motor goes to viscous losses in the fan. That power ends up as heat in both the air and fan housing.

The power delivered by the fan is easily calculated as pressure times volume flow. In a typical system most of that goes to viscous losses in the ducting. Those losses also result in heating of the air and the duct.

The rest of it is the kinetic energy of the moving air. When, at the outlet of the system, that's released into the surrounding air it rapidly transfers it's energy through collisions with the surrounding air molecules.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    A large part of the shaft output of the motor goes to viscous losses in the fan. That power ends up as heat in both the air and fan housing.

The power delivered by the fan is easily calculated as pressure times volume flow. In a typical system most of that goes to viscous losses in the ducting. Those losses also result in heating of the air and the duct.
    The rest of it is the kinetic energy of the moving air. When, at the outlet of the system, that's released into the surrounding air it rapidly transfers it's energy through collisions with the surrounding air molecules.
    I understand all the energy "pumped" into a system somehow has to come out in some way. Some systems disperse the energy through light, etc, most is ultimately converted to heat. I'm not a scientist but I know some I could ask.

JKJ