Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJ Shop Build – Compromises, Compromises

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. They have been very helpful.

Based in Bryan's and Kevin's comments, I reduced the size of the finished area and moved the equipment around. I also will eliminate one structural support pole by installing a steel channel. This provides the significant benefit of allowing me to put the slider at the south side of the basement and freeing up a good deal of future useable space while also providing for generous infeed/outfeed.

Bill's comment regarding the bathroom is now in the plan.

I am leaving the CNC as a placeholder; but based on the comments, this may need to be downsized.

Attached is the most recent layout. As always, appreciate the valuable ideas.
    Thanks,
    Sal

Always helps to add the attachment

Front of Basement Shop D.jpg
    Thanks,
    Sal

Looks like a nice arrangement.

Some additional small things to ponder: When you do the bathroom in the finished space, if you have the space available have a direct door to the bathroom from the storage/shop area, too, so you can access it without walking through the finished space. (Maybe that was previously mentioned...I didn't scroll back) Also consider making your workbench so it has some level of mobility so you can park it in the middle of the addition space generally to enjoy the light and space, but be able to move it temporarily if you need to bring in something big or awkward. Consider a Noden Adjust-A-Bench for height adjustability, too. Geoff Noden is located in Trenton, so it would be a pickup situation for you if you go that route. Tell him I sent you if you do inquire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great point on the bathroom door Jim. Also, I will look into the Noden Adjust-A-Bench. I was not aware of it and will let them know of your reference.

Thanks,
    Sal

The biggest issue I see is that you're building it on the side of the Hudson that the Statue of Liberty is facing away from, but that's another battle.

The biggest concerns I see is having door clearance for bringing in big, heavy machinery. And I personally would absolutely get a rigging company to do that. Money extremely well spent for me and my equipment.

I would also build walls / solid door around the air compressor and cyclone to reduce noise. I'm extremely happy that I did that. You'll find multiple posts about that concept on SMC.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I would put the dust collector close to the door (easier to empty) and it's pulling air and dust towards the entrance. In fact, if you can house or vent it outside, that would be my pref...

Alan, thank you!

I was originally from the right facing side of the Statue of Liberty. Transplanted to NJ after marriage. Certainly, it has its pluses and minuses.

I am looking into a tri-folding door as one option to allow for a wide entry. Once in, I should have good clearance. Enclosing the dust/compressor is also a good idea that I will undertake once the main work is done.

Appreciate the suggestions. They are all invaluable.
    Thanks,
    Sal

Piggybacking on Prashtun's suggestion, I'd also try and align the machines so they're all feeding off one large dust pipe trunk line with a few drops. I'd also keep the saw lined up with the door so you don't need to move sheet goods or large items too far into the space prior to breaking them down.

The downside to that suggestion is that it takes the hand tool work away from the nice window space and natural light that the addition brings to the space. But I do agree that making the duct work as efficient as possible is very important!
    --

I find bench placement works out better when you can get to all sides rather than having it pushed up to a wall. No reason it can’t go into the lower left corner by the windows though.

I do agree with that, Peter. I think I suggested moving that bench more to the middle of the addition a number of posts back if my memory serves and that was one reason, even if I forgot to mention it.
    --

Peter, Jim - thank you - these ideas are all fantastic

I did not think about putting the sliding table saw in the orientation shown by Peter. Although I do not want the large equipment in the hand tool space, there may be sufficient infeed/outfeed for the slider in that orientation but further back. Will work with that a bit.

Definitely I am familiar with the need for space around the work bench. In fact, I am using a raised mini bench on my main bench along with a separate moxon vice to currently build a large number of dovetailed drawers for an apothecary cabinet. Getting access to both side of the bench is needed to make this work without regularly moving those appliances.

My bench is heavy; but slidable so I should have options with its placement.
    Thanks,
    Sal