Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ Shop Build – Compromises, Compromises

NJ Shop Build – Compromises, Compromises

Having worked in my basement for the last 12 years, I wanted a dedicated structure for my shop. A future CNC and sliding table saw requires more space and I was hoping for a bit more “character”. Well after many attempts, getting a large enough separate structure on my property is a challenge primarily because the scale of a new building just wont fit well within the size of the land and all of the setback/easement limits.

So a reasonable compromise is to build out of the existing walkout side of the basement for hand tool/bench work, convert the existing shop space into a finished area for my son and his friends, and use the area adjacent to the new addition for machines. My SketchUp skills are surely not great; but I made the attached model to better understand machine placement, workflow, and expansion capability.

All of the help this forum offers is invaluable and I am open to all ideas from members.

When looking at the model, the following may be helpful:

• Existing major equipment is in green. (current SawStop is not shown)
    • New equipment and new addition space is in yellow
    • All machines are on rollers except for existing dust collector and future CNC and Sliding Table Saw
    • Red area on the Sliding Table Saw is for full extension of the sliding table and outrigger

Thank you to everyone in advance

Sal

Front of Basement V1.jpg
    Thanks,
    Sal

Make sure you can physically get a slider and your future CNC in there...and by that, I mean from the street to the space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you going to put a bathroom or at least a sink down there? If nothing else rough in the supply and drain lines.
    Bil lD

My only suggestion would be to reduce the space for your son. I don't know how old he is or what he would be using it for, but a long narrow space makes me think a lot of space would be wasted. I would make that area 16 X 32' or to the bottom of the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Make sure you can physically get a slider and your future CNC in there...and by that, I mean from the street to the space.

Yes, I have that issue now given some pitch to the property. The walkout door I have has limited some purchase decisions. With a double door I think I will be ok for passage; but the sloped property still makes it difficult to get in/out. I will consider improving that with some landscaping.
    Thanks,
    Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Are you going to put a bathroom or at least a sink down there? If nothing else rough in the supply and drain lines.
    Bil lD
    Yes, the sink is particularly important. Been using a slop sink in the storage area. Will need to see how hard it is to get a bathroom into the finished area. I suppose it is not too much of a challenge.
    Thanks,
    Sal

that's a difficult option. Building the finished space was a negotiation point with my wife in return for moving the shop to the "prime" real estate in the basement. I am going to have to tread lightly here
    Thanks,
    Sal

I'd like to open up a new can of worms, budget.

If you hire the construction and buy some nice new equipment you are approaching $100,000

If you do it yourself your son may have moved out before it's done and it'll still cost $20,000

The drill press needs room on either side if you want to drill anything longer than 12"

The cnc will be cramped- you should have access to the back side and one end at least. Think about turning it and the jointer-planer and shaper 90 degrees, parallel with the dimension saw.

What is a FAT300?

Tom, yeah the B word!

Certainly, going to do as much finish work as possible to help control costs. Also, the finished space will have some value for my grandchildren as well. We decided for some personal reasons that we need to stay in this home for the foreseeable future - so adding on to the walkout basement will get me closer to the character I had wanted.

Need to decide on the reality of the slider. So a bit off topic, i wonder if for hobby use, getting a good CNC and forging the slider is a reasonable approach? I already have a sawstop so it is not essential except for easier handling of sheet goods.
    Thanks,
    Sal

Good point on the drill press, Kevin. In fact, thinking more about it, I will likely move it to the new addition which will be used mostly for handwork.

The CNC is a wish for now. I am finding that the models that handle 4X8 can be much larger than I anticipated. Need to do more homework here.

FAT300 is a mobile lifting table from Felder. https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-U...ce-oxid-1.html
    Not fixed on that given its price; but wanted to make sure I have the ability to move something that size around the machine cluster.

I will need to think more about the JP idea. I want to try to get good infeed/outfeed while not blocking it from the other machines.
    Thanks,
    Sal

Yes, a 4x8 cutting capacity CNC is going to be about 6' wide relative to the gantry and about 10' long so the gantry can be parked beyond the cutting area. Where the controller box is mounted also affects length. Nature of the beast. That said, I'm sorry I didn't make the effort to squeeze in a 4x8 as it would have given me a little more flexibility for some projects. I can certainly "tile" on my 4x4, but that means moving a 1000 lb machine forward which entails reinstalling some casters using a jack, etc.

I use my slider "less" for sheet goods at this point with the CNC in my shop, but I wouldn't give up the slider format ever. If and when we downsize, if need be, I'll give up the 8'6" wagon and go to a short-stroke slider if I must. In your situation, if you're happy with the SawStop, I see no reason why you couldn't go CNC for sheet goods and all the small things it excels at, too, while using the SawStop for what it does best...ripping and other normal table saw functions. Like with the previous slider discussion, you'll probably want to look at a CNC that can be built on-site, such as an AVID Pro due to logistics. You'd never get a Camaster or other welded machine of that size in there without taking out a wall and hiring riggers with heavy equipment to move it to the walk-out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. Good points.

I'll post some questions in the CNC section once I get more knowledge on the subject.

Sal
    Thanks,
    Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Cangialosi View Post
    Need to decide on the reality of the slider. So a bit off topic, i wonder if for hobby use, getting a good CNC and forging the slider is a reasonable approach? I already have a sawstop so it is not essential except for easier handling of sheet goods.
    What are you planning on making? Do you really need a CNC router that will process a full 4x8 sheet in one go? You can get an extremely nice slider with almost no learning curve for certainly less than a mid-range CNC machine.

At the early stage of looking into a CNC so a lot isn't known yet. I an thinking that I will use the CNC for panel work on built-ins, jigs, and perhaps 3d architectural elements as might be used in a library/bar. For built-ins, I assume that a smaller machine would be an issue for any component that was greater than 4'. Appreciate any ideas?

Sal
    Thanks,
    Sal