Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Question

shutter opens about 20sec--35sec--50sec this is slow motion but you can slow it down more in the setting at lower right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIcj...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 08-01-2020 at 9:37 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't have a way to record from your video, but if you watch the video at .25 speed, move the timer to 34 seconds or 49 seconds and closely watch the mirror raise, you'll note that the whole mirror moves from bottom to top in like 1 frame, but to fully seat it takes about 3 frames- no clue if this is normal or what, or if the tiny distance between not fully raised and fully raised would account for your shadow. Could also be a simple shock absorption thing that's by design. There was no visible shutter drag, I couldn't find a frame in the 35 and 50 second shots where the shutter was caught in motion, one frame it's fully shut, next frame fully open for several frames, then within one frame it's fully shut. Not sure of the shutter speed you used, but it was slow enough to that the shutter WAS open for a few frames...

Based on what I saw in your video, and I'm not a camera mechanic to be sure -- aside from the slow-to-fully-raise mirror thing which may be normal, the mirror and shutter appeared to work normally...

Could be optics? Have you checked the lens? Something as small as a hair on the lens can cause quite a bit of light scatter. About 20 years ago my brother had the internet abuzz over the 'ghostly' thing in the hallway of his apartment caught on his surveillance camera, looked like a long fuzzy whitish piece of twine with fuzzy balls attached to it, appeared to take up the whole hallway. It WAS pretty eerie... Turned out to be about a half inch of a single strand of spider web stuck to the lens, the fuzzy balls were the hallway lights reflecting off of and lighting up the web strand.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Tell you what, take a picture of a white background and post it. The more evenly illuminated, the better. I really didn't see any indication of the mirror really looking slow. As in trailing the shutter.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'll use a different lens tomorrow. Also I used my finger and raised and lowered the mirror several times after I took the video and the lens was off then I toook a picture and it looked ok. Maybe like you said it was sticking a little will take more pics tomorrow see what happens. Just to hot to mess withj it anymore today still 101 at 830 pm hope its a little cooler in the morning
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

put on a different lens the shadow happens for a couple pictures then goes away, put the other lens back on and no shadow. I'm thinking the lens is sticking but after a couple shots it loosens up. Guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I don'r take a lot of pictures so might be a while to see if this camera will work ok or not.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

So-
    mirror falls off
    glue mirror on
    pictures get fuzzy
    something must be wrong with the glued on mirror
    check it out for days
    finally figure it's not the mirror but the lens...

Yet another entry to my list of:
    "things that I've fixed that immediately caused something else to go wrong with the thing leading to endless troubleshooting only to find the second thing that went wrong with the thing had absolutely nothing to do with the first thing that went wrong that I fixed."
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    put on a different lens the shadow happens for a couple pictures then goes away, put the other lens back on and no shadow. I'm thinking the lens is sticking but after a couple shots it loosens up. Guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I don'r take a lot of pictures so might be a while to see if this camera will work ok or not.
    I can't think of anything in a lens that would cause a stripe across the bottom of a photo. (In general, the lens is symmetrical around it's axis. So dark corners and maybe edges of the wider part, etc.)

One thought, though I don't remember the optical geometry, is that different focal length lenses use different amounts of the mirror. It may be the mirror clears the light rays for one lens, but lags and interferes with the projected image of another.

OK just took 4 shots 1st big shadow nd smaller rd and 4th no shadow IMG_7394 (Copy).jpgIMG_7395 (Copy).jpgIMG_7396 (Copy).jpgIMG_7397 (Copy) (Copy).jpg
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    I can't think of anything in a lens that would cause a stripe across the bottom of a photo.
    One detail often forgotten in photography is the image is usually turned upside down by the optics. In this case the bottom of the image is actually at the top of the surface collecting the light. This could mean for some reason the mirror isn't getting out of the light path in time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Set your camera in the Priority Apeture (P) mode and multiple shots when you press and hold the button. That will give you several shots very quickly so the third or fourth should be good.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

yea but just wish I could get it to work right the first shot. Mirror stick for a couple then ok . I can't believe it has anything to do with my gluing in the mirror . I used the end of a toothpick to apply the glue the drop was so small I didn't know if any glue was actually on the pic LOL So I think if that were the problem it would stick all the time. Guess I'll have to live with it.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One detail often forgotten in photography is the image is usually turned upside down by the optics. In this case the bottom of the image is actually at the top of the surface collecting the light. This could mean for some reason the mirror isn't getting out of the light path in time.

jtk
    It's more commonly shutter lag. Bert, what are the shutter speeds in the pictures above?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Didn't pay attention the cam was on full auto just wanted to show the shadow
    Like said I just got this camera and have no experience with DSLR cams. So setting are very unfamiliar
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 08-04-2020 at 5:33 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Didn't pay attention the cam was on full auto just wanted to show the shadow
    The upload to the site stripped all the EXIF. I'd be willing to bet this is related to shutter speed. You can likely view the information in camera. If this were a Nikon I could tell you how, but I've never been a Canon shooter..
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Next time I try it I'll look these were junk shots and I deleted the folder from the camera so infor is gone.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander