Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT18 (Italian) Buy Opportunity

Laguna LT18 (Italian) Buy Opportunity

Thanks to some great advice from folks here on the creek, I have tracked down a Laguna LT18 not far from me here in Texas. It is a 2002 model. As such, 3HP Italian motor, 12" resaw capacity. Price is $2200 firm (no tax). My other alternatives are Rikon 10-347 ($2600+tax) (18" Professional), Hammer N4400 ($3000+tax), or Laguna 18BX ($2000+tax) - all these options would be new machines.

The saw comes with 2 1" Resaw King blades, mobility, driftmaster fence, and the newer ceramic guides. The saw has been used mainly to shape turning blanks that are then sold commercially.

Thoughts? My use will be furniture. I am wanting this scale of machine but had not anticipated access to an Italian Laguna.

Should I? Shouldn't I? Are tere any endemic problems with this generation of machine I should know about?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

I purchased a 2004-2005 20" italian laguna from an estate in Florida. It came with a resaw king and mobility kit(is this extra? I thought it was standard). I bought that for $1700, i believe. It was then $250-300 to have it shipped to me. I recently picked up a driftmaster, which i think is going to be a nice fence. The install was finicky as heck, but i like the unit and its features. This is a 4.8hp saw with a 20" resaw. I dont think your deal is a bad one. That era of saw doesnt have the same specs as a new model, so its hard to compare them apples to apples; however, the accessories are close to a grand themselves. The resaw king can be sharpened half a dozen times, so those blades are valuable if they have a fair amount of life left in them.

Seems like that era saw has similar power and capacity specs to the 18BX. Up to you if 18 years of mileage is worth it for some expensive blades and a pricey fence. I know the BX is made in taiwan versus the LT in italy by ACM. I dont know if that is meaningful unless you tell me the LT has a greater tension spec.

only the Hammer is in the same class.

It's a fair deal assuming condition is good.

If it has an Italian motor, they run a bit hot. If it's got a Baldor, no worries. I've only had issues when running it constantly for hours on end.

Dave, are you an owner?

How will you get it home?
    If you're paying for delivery, consider that cost.

Do you have power sufficient for 220 motors?
    It's not just plugs that need changing for higher voltage.

All good questions. Yes, I'm fine with a dedicated 220v circuit. The saw is a little over 2 hours away, so I'll rent a trailer, tie downs and transport it on its spine. The transport is the most imposing part of the possibility.

Steve ,when you trailer it,remove the table. I hauled my Centauro 3 1/2 hours home on a trailer.My trailer is a flat deck Bobcat trailer with a wooden deck,so I screw 2''x4" pieces around what I haul and then strap down. Rode like a dream all the way home.

I’ve put a lot of mileage on an LT18 of this same era with the same specs. It’s a decent saw and the drift master fence and carbide blades are a plus. The price seems a bit high to me unless the saw is in perfect condition and is exactly what you want, but that’s just me. I would look for a used Minimax 16 or 20 or 24” SCM / Centauro for around that kind of money, personally.

I feel like Laguna saws are decent, but are a little hyped up and not built as solid as some of their Italian cousins, but I also know that if you are limiting yourself to new saws or used saws that only come available locally, then sometimes a premium price is worth it simply for ending the search and not having to ramp up for a long journey to retrieve a machine.
    Still waters run deep.

That’s a painfully true reality! I’ll see it Saturday. It appears the be in very good condition. I think the base price is high but with the extras seems reasonable. There is VERY little resale of good equipment in these parts. Unless you want a Shopsmith. Still see those things every time I go to CL.

Great advice!

If it was my money (and it isn't) my buy price would be 60% of the combined retail on the original sales slip.

Machinery like this is a depreciating asset.

My experience with the Driftmaster fence wasn't enough to convince me to buy another.

TL;DNR the new Laguna is basically the same price and it will be delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If it was my money (and it isn't) my buy price would be 60% of the combined retail on the original sales slip.

Machinery like this is a depreciating asset.

My experience with the Driftmaster fence wasn't enough to convince me to buy another.

TL;DNR the new Laguna is basically the same price and it will be delivered.
    The cost of an a new LT18 in the early 2000s was around $1800-2000, if you can believe it. I know that because I remember seeing a receipt for the LT18 I used for years in a commercial woodshop. My, how times have changed.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    Dave, are you an owner?
    Yep, an LT18.

The cost of an a new LT18 in the early 2000s was around $1800-2000, if you can believe it. I know that because I remember seeing a receipt for the LT18 I used for years in a commercial woodshop. My, how times have changed.
    Yes, and what did a Grizzly 18" cost then ? What's it going for now?

The price seems a bit high to me unless the saw is in perfect condition and is exactly what you want, but that’s just me. I would look for a used Minimax 16 or 20 or 24” SCM / Centauro for around that kind of money, personally.
    At first blush I tend to agree with this. However, tell me what you can go out and get for $2k today that is as stout as a turn of the century ACM saw ? And then go buy a Driftmaster and 2 carbide blades and tell me how much those set you back. Neither come up on the secondary market.

but are a little hyped up and not built as solid as some of their Italian cousins
    For certain on the hype. It's a Laguna trademark. And I think you're technically correct on the build, but it's not as if ACM saws are sub par or weak. Centauro and Aggazani had a bit more strength in the spines and tended to be a bit more refined - though I would not consider them refined saws. Older Centauro switches tended to be utter rubbish, so there are tradeoffs.

SO it really boils down to opportunity. Clearly Steve doesn't have access to a lot of used machines, and these bandsaws aren't a dime a dozen like 14" Deltas or 10" Craftsmans, so the resale prices follow the typical supply and demand curve. Holding on too tight to the conventional wisdom that a used too should cost 50% of new isn't always productive either as buyer -or- seller. Some things hold their value very well (Festool & Lie Nielsen). Others often aren't worth the gas $ to go pick them up after a few years ( Harbor Freight) And some (Stanley planes) appreciate in value to heights that would make your broker blush. Wish my gramps woulda bought a half dozen #51 & #52 combos.

I had one from about 1999. A little light for a resaw machine so I wouldn't buy it for that purpose. Good saw for all around use though. I sold mine about 5 years ago for 1000. The driftmaster adds about $200 and inflation adds so I'd be in the 1500-1700 range. A 20" ACM , Centauro, or Aggi and particularly a 24" would be much better choices if resawing is in your future. Dave

Very helpful perspectives Dave. Thanks.