Thread: Removing child’s glue stick glue...grrrr

Blog Entries

Removing child’s glue stick glue...grrrr

My 4 year old grandson brought me one of his wood sculptures that had broken. Last night he tried to fix it with glue stick. Yuck!!

i tried water, paint thinner, acetone and lacquer thinner and the sticky goo was still there. I finally resorted to just sanding off the sticky wood on one piece and sort of mortising the other to get to bare wood,

did I miss a solvent? I’m sure this won’t be the last time I see that stuff. An internet search suggested that the base was PVA so water should have done the trick. But there’s also something in there to keep it soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Last night he tried to fix it with glue stick. Yuck!!
    What's "glue stick"? Is it a brand name of a glue?

Polyethylene glycol is what keeps it soft. Once dried, polymerized acrylics are pretty water proof.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    What's "glue stick"? Is it a brand name of a glue?
    a glue stick is like a stick deodorant and about an inch in diameter. It’s for little kids to glue paper projects together. I don’t care for it much and have been introducing my grandson to three glues: wood glue (titebond), super glue and epoxy. If I squeeze it out for him, he’s pretty good at spreading titebond. He can mix epoxy and apply it where I tell him. I don’t let him mess with cyanoacrylate. But, left to his own devices at his house, he still tries to glue things with that cursed glue stick.

Just thinking out loud but wonder if heat would soften it enough to scrap off.