Thread: Gyro Air G800, Anyone?

Blog Entries

Gyro Air G800, Anyone?

Do any of you have one of these? Satisfied with it or not?

I see people with the G700 but curious if anyone has the 800.

Also curious to know if this machine is as sensitive to being turned on and off as the typical cyclone. I turn my cyclone on and off fairly commonly during classes and I’m pretty sure that doing so is killing capacitors.

Getting very tired of cleaning the filter constantly in hindsight buying a short cyclone was probably a poor choice, it seems to pass a lot of material into the filter.

The G800 looks to be practical for a one-man band, and they advertise that it is capable of handling four machines at a time (I have sincere doubts of that in actual use) it’s on the very quiet side which is nice.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-30-2020 at 8:27 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I hope you get some responses. Just based on the manufacturer's literature I would be skeptical. Maximum 1300cfm airflow with no associated static pressure is not likely to handle four machines, and at 86 sq. ft. the filter area seems undersized.

I would not be too concerned about frequent switching of a single phase capacitor start motor. I had a 2hp Oneida system with a Continental motor for 25 years, switching it on and off as needed without any problems. When I replaced it with a newer 3hp system I asked the local motor shop about Oneida's recommendation to limit starts to 6/hour and they said not to worry, that compressor motors cycled more than that on a regular basis without issues.

Personally I have had been happy with the Oneida cyclones barring the occasional bin overfill, but a smaller, quieter system does sound attractive.

It looks like it uses a 3phase motor with a VFD, so presumably regular cycling won't hurt anything.

Have you looked at the Al-Ko units?
    https://martin-usa.com/products/al-ko-power-unit-160/

I believe there was a recent thread discussing the Harvey product...it should be here somewhere. I don't recall if anyone actually owns one, however.

I agree with Kevin that I wouldn't worry much about the on/off cycling of your existing system...it's not all that uncommon for folks to do that in the real world.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If cycling isn’t killing my capacitors, then what is?

Not really in need of a better mousetrap terribly in this area, but I wouldn’t mind something better designed if it’s more durable and less trouble.

$7550 (Woodcraft). 1300 cfm. Does not compute.

Blog Entries
    I can make the value judgement, thank you.

Brian,
    are you considering the v3000 to be a short cyclone? I haven't previously heard of that allowing a lot through to the filter. Is there a chance you have a leak in the system? Or is your ductwork turning immediately before the cyclone (keeping this straight should help with separation).

(still haven't upgraded from my jet dc1100ck, so continue to read all of these dust collector threads... *sigh*)

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I believe there was a recent thread discussing the Harvey product...it should be here somewhere. I don't recall if anyone actually owns one, however.

I agree with Kevin that I wouldn't worry much about the on/off cycling of your existing system...it's not all that uncommon for folks to do that in the real world.
    More frequent than recommended starting of a 5 HP blower will very much be an issue. Maybe not so much for a smaller motor like a 1.5 HP though. There's a big difference between spinning a table saw blade & a blower impeller.

Something else to consider, figure out what would actually "die"/fail on your current motor from frequent starts, find out how much the part(s) would cost and just keep one on hand as a spare. Im guessing its a whole lot cheaper than a new unit and if the current one is doing the job, why not keep it running? Especially if its something as simple as a single replaceable, possibly inexpensive part.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Something that dies from my normal use is not sustainable in my opinion.

This is part of researching a solution. I recognize that it’s expensive but if it’s good and would work well I certainly would not mind knowing a bit more about it.

I've noticed that over time, Grizzly has substituted lower voltage rated capacitors on some of their power tools' parts lists. They are still "rated" at/slightly above the actual voltage, but standard practice has always been (and was, per the former capacitors at Grizzly) to double the voltage rating on capacitors (above the actual voltage) for reliability.

If Grizzly is doing it, I'll bet other Chinese manufacturers are/have been doing the same thing. Anything to make a buck...

Frequent stopping and starting single phase AC motors taxes the starting capacitor and the run/start switch contacts. These are both things that can be made more cheaply without affecting the motor specs, but can drastically effect motor longevity/reliability, both of which won't show up until the warranty has most likely run out. Again, anything to make a buck...

But with today's online, price-beats-all purchasing decisions, adding only a few dollars to even an expensive tool for reliability costs too many sales. And with many name brands switching manufacturers at will, for the same few dollars saved (albeit multiplied by the units produced), brand reliability has suffered. In the end, we all suffer.

- Andy -- Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    Indeed. The motor on this machine is a Leeson.

The start capacitor is 250v rated and the run capacitor is 370 v rated.

Oddly, today it started and was making a surging noise, I let it run for a few moments and then it started to behave normally.

I have the G700 not the G800. No issues in short cycling in a one man hobby shop.
    Sure we get hung up on numbers, but the G700 will handle the orbital sander just as well as the SSPCS3 table saw or the DeWalt 735 planner with no issues.
    I purchased because of the low profile design as it easily parks under the counter top.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Billy, nice to hear from someone who owns one of the machines.