Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year vs 30 year refi

15 year vs 30 year refi

the short version: we need to refi plus cash out-
    15 years 2.5% payment $1334
    30 years 2.875% payment $830
    difference: $504

question: how to calculate the difference between adding $504 to the $830, or just paying the $1334?

Obviously the higher rate will take longer than 15 years, but how much longer?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No but I have a bridge for sale.

You can use a calculator with financial formulas (been so long I can't remember the details), make a spreadsheet (what I did last time), ask your bank or mortgage company to calculate it for you, or use one of the on-line calculators.

Dave Ramsey's calculator lets you calculate the payback amount without paying any extra each month, then add the extra to see the difference. To compare the 15 vs 30 at different interest rates I'd write down the numbers for the 15 year scenario then repeat the calculation for the 30 year case and apply the extra amount in step 2.
    https://www.daveramsey.com/mortgage-payoff-calculator

Maybe make sure your lender doesn't have an early payoff penalty. Mine didn't (maybe because the interest rate was the same regardless of the time period) but I hear some do, or at least used to. Sure is nice to have everything paid off.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    the short version: we need to refi plus cash out-
    15 years 2.5% payment $1334
    30 years 2.875% payment $830
    difference: $504

question: how to calculate the difference between adding $504 to the $830, or just paying the $1334?

Obviously the higher rate will take longer than 15 years, but how much longer?

I paid about 100 a month extra towards our loan. At first I wrote checks then did it online. With checks I put a memo "extra to principa. When I paid the loan off they said I had an extra 3,000 in payments in my account. They never paid the principal down with the online payments. Bunch of crooks, PNC Bank.
    Bill D

Bill, ouch!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev,

The 30 year mortgage will cost you about $59,000 in extra interest over the 15 year.

We've found that our best option over the years has been to go with the longer term. If you dealing with a credit union, ours was very willing to take an automatic payment each week and credit it each week as well. That alone knocked a couple years of the loan. Anytime either of us received a raise at work, 50% of the increase was immediately added to our payment amount. In the end, we paid off a 30 year mortgage in just over 17 years.

Bankrate.com has an additional payment calculator (and there are several others out on the internet)

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

The trade off comes down to balancing whether minimizing total interest paid vs. flexibility in cash flow is more important to you. The 15 year note minimizes total interest, the 30 year with extra to principal allows for a lower payment if there are some months where that extra $504 is too much to spare out of the budget.

John

John's link will show the 'how'; 90sec. Excel-session says the 'accelerated' 30-yr mortgage will take 186 months (payments) - - +/- a month or so for compounding, fees, fines, and bribes.

I refi'd into a 15 yr for a few years and then changed jobs not by my choice at which time i refi'd into a 30 again. interest rate dropped each time, i was very lucky. The few years I was on the 15 yr sure dropped the balance. Finally paid it all off, now time to catch up on defer'd maintenance as that money was put towards principal for early payoff. Have to figure out works for you at that time in your life and roll with it.

good luck
    Ron

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

So the reason I'm asking: We have a granddaughter, fiance and their 3 year old, our great grandson. Back in December he and some fellow employees managed to tip over a massive air compressor they were trying to move, he broke it's fall, saving the compressor from much damage. He wasn't so lucky, his spine was severely fractured and his spinal cord severed. Wheelchair for life. They're both 22 years old. After 6 weeks of hospital and PT workman's comp moved them into a hotel suite, temporarily. They were told in June the hotel stay needed to end, they need to find a [cheaper than $3000/month] place to move. Apartment hunting went badly even with the wife trying to rent a place herself. Other family members aren't much help. We know their financial status, paying for shelter isn't a problem. So, since we've been doing this for 13 years, we decided to do 'this' again, which is: buy a mobile home as a rent-to-own 'investment'. And the best way to do this is to re-fi our home for the money. Turns out I forgot about our refi 9 years ago, so we're still 21 years out on our current loan. (I was thinking we had 16 years left)...

Since we're on the verge of (semi) retirement, and we're almost out of debt aside from our home (which is also our business), after reading your comments above I've pretty much decided on going with the 30 years. The kids will be making us payments on their part of the loan, which will cut our current house payment in half. And after borrowing enough to buy the mobile outright, we'll still have around $125k equity that will only increase as time goes on. We have friends renting-to-buy our other mobile which has been great for all of us- and it's actually gone up in value since we bought it. Fiance's lawyers are negotiating a settlement, if/when that happens their plan is to pay for the mobile outright. And even if things go totally south and we're 'stuck' with the new one, it's not a big deal because we've been considering getting another place to live in a few years anyway. Our engraving business has swallowed this place, not much 'home' left. The commute now is great but in a few years when we'll only be working for about 5 customers, it would be nice to get out of here every night Also, my SS payments kick in this month, so that adds some cushion.

So that's why I was wondering about doubling pays on a 30 year. So if the plans all goes perfect, in a few months they'll pay us to buy it, and our mortgage balance will be the same as it is now, or it'll be banked, either way, more money to buy diesel for the motorhome and gas for the boats -If all goes horribly bad, the worst case is we have our second home in place...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

All I want to know is, How on god's green earth are you going to pass an inspection with all that stuff going on? Don't you have to have an inspection done to refinance?

My homeowners insurance agent wants to get me into a different company because my current insurance has gone up in price alot.
    But to do this it'll require an inspection. I've need putting it off because I've got some questionable upgrades dealing with the laser. But nothing like what you've got going on.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    All I want to know is, How on god's green earth are you going to pass an inspection with all that stuff going on? Don't you have to have an inspection done to refinance?
    A home refinance would typically require an appraisal, not an inspection. Appraisals are typically looking to verify dimensions, number of rooms, and overall condition. They don't so much care if the place is a bit messy and not clean.

If you have enough equity the appraisal might be waived although a cash out refi makes that less likely.

What Brian said - Our home just needs an appraisal, the mobile we're buying needs an inspection...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev, Home equity loan rules vary from state to state so all advice here may not apply to your situation. You may not need an appraisal. If allowable your lender may be able to pull your home value from the tax rolls. This is usually possible when your refinanced amount will be significantly less than the home's value. This would save you a few hundred bucks in closing costs.

I have done about a dozen home purchases, refis and home equity loans in Texas. If you live in Texas I can provide more state specific information if needed.

[QUOTE=John Stankus
    The trade off comes down to balancing whether minimizing total interest paid vs. flexibility in cash flow is more important to you. The 15 year note minimizes total interest, the 30 year with extra to principal allows for a lower payment if there are some months where that extra $504 is too much to spare out of the budget.

John[/QUOTE]

That sums it up in my mind.