Thread: BehLen's Rockhard Waterborne Brushing Varnish

BehLen's Rockhard Waterborne Brushing Varnish

This is first time using this Varnish. It happened to be on hand and I need a good, strong Varnish. I need to lay down multiple coats. Is it necessary to scuff sand between all the coats, if I don't wait very long between them? I seem to remember with another type of Varnish, as long as I didn't wait too long between coats, it was OK to put another thin coat on without first scuff sanding and wiping off the dust. Don't mind doing it, if it's necessary, but don't like doing unnecessary work either. Thanks for any advice on this Varnish. Don M.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    This is first time using this Varnish. It happened to be on hand and I need a good, strong Varnish. I need to lay down multiple coats. Is it necessary to scuff sand between all the coats, if I don't wait very long between them? I seem to remember with another type of Varnish, as long as I didn't wait too long between coats, it was OK to put another thin coat on without first scuff sanding and wiping off the dust. Don't mind doing it, if it's necessary, but don't like doing unnecessary work either. Thanks for any advice on this Varnish. Don M.
    Takes a bit of Googling to get a good image of the can label. And over at Mohawk's web site they are a bit thin on TDS documents. But it appears that maybe shellac.net spent some time transcribing the label instructions :
    https://www.shellac.net/rockhard_tab...e_varnish.html

APPLICATION: It is recommended that a good natural bristle brush be used for
    Rockhard™
    Table Top Urethane Varnish. Best results are obtained when thin uniform coats are applied with the grain. Do not over-brush by going back and forth several times.
    Scuff sand with P320A – P400A Silicon Carbide Stearate Dry sandpaper between coats.
    One quart covers approximately 125 sq. ft. Allow 48 hours dry time before use.

The time listed to handle and recoat is 14 hours. That would imply the need to key it with sanding between coats.
    Last edited by Rob Young; 07-29-2020 at 3:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.