Thread: Choosing WB finish for powder room vanity

Choosing WB finish for powder room vanity

I’m starting to build a vanity for our powder room. Will be made out of cherry. I only recently got an HVLP sprayer and have sprayed EM6000 and 6500 with it. Would the EM6000 be appropriate for a bathroom vanity, or should I use a different finish? I’m planning on finishing all sides as it’s a bathroom, though honestly being a powder room, I don’t think there’s as much of a humidity problem as there would be with a shower. But I’m not sure if cleaners being used in a bathroom might cause problems with the EM6000.

Thanks,
    Bruce

EM6000 is perfectly fine for this application. Do keep in mind that you'll likely want to "warm up" the cherry before putting on the waterborne finish. EM6000, like many waterborne finishes, has a "colder" look. You could consider the EM2000 as an alternative as it has a slight amber to it or do a coat of wax free shellac first (with or without BLO on the wood...I use the oil) before moving on to the waterborne clear coats. ALWAYS test your finishing process on scrap of the same material first before proceeding with the actual project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I consider bathroom cabinetry the same as kitchen cabinets, so I use KCMA rated finishes for both. So far that has been a winning strategy. FWIW, most bathrooms these days have fans. Those that don't should. I don't see high humidity being a real issue - as long as there is a fan. The bigger issue is cleaners, which is why I use KCMA rated finishes. But even they aren't likely to do well if someone spills, spatters, or drools nail polish or nail polish remover on it. If that's a concern I think your best option is a 2K Poly.

John