Thread: Really basic CNC question - profiling bits

Really basic CNC question - profiling bits

First, my CNC knowledge is very limited (I don't own one). Every video I see of CNC's use a straight bit of some kind. I'm curious if CNC's can also use profiling bits that cut from the side ... something like an edge beading bit, for example?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Absolutely! You just need to make sure the bearing isn't on the bit if it's that type of bit.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

What David said including buying them specifically designed to not use a bearing. Keep in mind that the software also needs to understand the profile of every individual form bit. Coves/round-overs are relatively easy to describe, especially if they have a fixed radius. The more complex the profile the more complex the drawing necessary to have an accurate representation in the software.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting. Do some of the software packages come pre-loaded with basic profiles, or is everything custom entered?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Vectric’s V-Carve & Aspire cad/cam packages that I’m familiar with both come with good basic cutter libraries. Most bigger name router bit manufactures have bit profiles of their products online that can be imported into your library. I will draw them up in autocad if I can’t find the profile online.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I was going to say the same thing as Bruce. Some profiles are in the basic tool database within VCarve and Aspire. It's also relatively easy to define new ones as your drawing skill increases. The only profile bit I use, for the most part, is a "roundover". The molding toolpath in the Vectric Software is easy and fast to make any kind of edge profile you need, although it's not typically used literally on the edge of the material. Two-sided machining is necessary for any kind of undercut, however. Most folks would do those toolpaths prior to "cut out" of components. Doing profiles on the physical edge of material is a lot easier on a router table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

7. You can also use sharper cutters, face milling tools or aggregate heads. Lot of stuff is possible, even saw a chainsaw and belt sander.