Thread: Vintage/Antique Building Material?

Vintage/Antique Building Material?

Guys what are those places called that sells old building materials such as old doors,mantels,tiles,etc? I know may have to check antique stores but I am looking for building materials for the inside of my small house. Just don't know what I need to search under.

I've seen them called all sorts of things, but the first thing I would try, with a Google search, would be: architectural recycling center, or architectural salvage

I have some favorite ones, but nowhere close to your location.

Depending on the location, you might find some great stuff at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. See https://www.habitat.org

Blog Entries
    They can get creative with names. In Berkeley, CA one of the bigger architectural salvage yards is called Urban Ore.

In Aurora, OR it is Aurora Mills - Architectural Salvage:

Aurora Mills.jpg

There was a Charles Buck chisel there that talked me in to taking it home.

Habitat for Humanity is also a good source for doors and things. Each of their stores has different managers and different ways of doing business.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys, do have a Habitat for Humanity that's on other side of town so will give them shot. And look under couple other names also,not to many good flea markets to hit in my area but who knows what may popup

With ReStores, you have to visit regularly as their merchandise changes all the time depending what is donated and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Depending on the location, you might find some great stuff at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. See https://www.habitat.org
    This and also check back regular as suggsted by @Rollie Meyers.

Carroll, I don't remember at the moment the name of the place, but at the very north end of Pine Timbers St in Houston (near the intersection of Clay Road and Hempstead Hwy), maybe the 4600 or 4700 block, there's a place that has all kinds of building materials - interior and exterior. I know it's not really close to you, but it's a possible resource. There are also Habitat resale (called ReStore) places on North McCarty and on W 34th near 290. Good luck.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

there are whole crews of guys that dismantle houses being leveled for construction. Sometimes the general contractor on the job will let you have what ever you want for free. Woman up the road does crafty things with old multi paned windows and there must be 1,500 old windows stacked up behind the house. Her husband is a demolition contractor and brings them home for her. Around here we have the Habitat stores and there are some large private out fits. I saw an old classic summer cottage flattened two years ago. I didn't know it was due for demolition. The place had beautiful carved wood work and built in cabinetry. still had all the old victorian kitchen and bath fixtures in good shape. Leaded glass windows in front. had one of the old commodes with the tank up on the wall with a pull chain to flush. They just knocked it flat with a giant track hoe. Damn idiots could have made thousands on the kitchen alone. I went down to look at the remnants, but everything had been crushed still inside. I would have paid to have it jacked up and moved here to the farm. only 18 x 24 and 2 stories. I even have a contact in the house moving business.

Depending on what you are looking for, I would make leaflets of what you are looking for and distribute them to owners of houses that have such items in side. Sometimes, for renovation they are just glad some body will make use of what they do not want anymore.

Blog Entries
    This link might lead you to something you can use.

https://search.tb.ask.com/search/GGm...ials&tpr=jre10

Architectural salvage is what they get called around here. But note, things aren't necessarily cheaper than new materials; often they can cost more. The clientele tend to be trying to match the style of their 1909 or 1953 house and are willing to pay more for a door, or light fixture, or lock set, etc. Also with the cost of labor to dismantle, clean up, sort, and transport things vs economies of scale in producing things, it can be hard to be competitive on price.