Thread: Filling painted wood?

Filling painted wood?

I have some framing around an attic door in my house that consists of just some 2x4's screwed (and maybe glued?) to the ceiling. They look pretty rough with some knot holes, rough edges, etc. I might be able to take them down, plane them, sand them, etc. but it would be easier to just coat it with something that I can sand in-place and repaint. The nail or screw holes are filled in and I can't tell how it's attached, so getting it down will be pretty obnoxious.

Will normal wood filler work if the wood is already painted? If not, what else could I use?

I would use Bondo, if it's just going to be painted again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    I would use Bondo, if it's just going to be painted again.
    Yea, in general I like bondo for this. I also really prefer pre-painting (at the very least priming) trim that's going to be painted before install. In which case, general filler or lightweight spackle works well too.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Drywall joint compound would work just fine for this... inexpensive, easy to apply and sand. Premixed all purpose compound would probably be fine but if the "holes" are big a "hot mud" (quick setting) might be better due to less shrinkage.

I used premixed all purpose to smooth painted CDX plywood before priming and repainting and it worked just fine. It was a similar situation where removing the wood would have turned things into a major project!