Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: location of bench vises?

Ahhh Derek beat me to it, I rather suspected he would. Since I really don't have any pictures of workholding, I'd have had to spend a much longer time typing it out. One of the things I was going to point out was that for rough cross cuts you have the vise to your right, and so your offhand is capable of holding the offcut. This is also true for machinist vises IMO, if you mount it on the left side it'll swivel so that the jaws are off the bench (instead of over the bench).

The other thing I was going to mention is that my current bench has a full width end vise. I really wish I hadn't done that. It's turned out to be so much less useful than I thought, so much so it's hardly used and I have just figured out easier ways to hold for things like planing (where Derek is using two dogs above).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It sounded to me like the OP wanted to mount the tail vise and the front vise adjacent to the same corner.

That usually won't work, unless the front vise is a leg vise, because the undercarriages will interfere with each other.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

To make a bench the most useful it can possibly be, equip it to match the way you work. If you don't need vises where you normally see them, find some way to mount a vise where it provides the most use for you. When I made my bench I installed an end vise the full width of my bench with do holes perpendicular to the face of the vise at various points on the bench top. That's because I tend to have a use for holding boards on the bench top, sometimes for routing, sometimes for other tasks. I don't have any other vises on my bench.

You do you....but from my experience:

A lathe takes over. You'll need space for its tools and for cleaning off its chips. I suggest putting it on its own base over in a corner of your shop that you can dedicate to it, or with a stand that can accommodate its tools. Lathe tool sharpening happens much more frequently than flat work blades, so plan for proximity of your grinder or whatever you're using for sharpening too.

As for vises, if I were to do it again, I'd probably put a face vise both on the front left and front right corners of the bench. While I plane right to left, when sawing I prefer through cuts on the left (so I can support the offcut), and joinery cuts on the right (I just see them better). Long pieces could be supported in both for edge work. It would impede very long jointing on super wide boards, though.

If money were no object, I'd make one or both of those twin screw vises. The end vise is something I don't wish for. It in fact requires unencumbered access there, which would mean you have to think twice about having the bench against the wall.

Given your plan, I'd go with your instinct, but be prepared to reconfigure in a while. Your style will develop organically.

This is interesting subject. I was wondering the same thing as I was redoing my work shop and bench placment.

I work at a bench all day fixing windows/screens and cutting glass (have all my live) and I have always worked on the Right corner of my bench or table.
    So its strange when I get home and start working on the Left corner of my wood working bench. And then one end of my wood bench is kind of up against the wall and its the Right end/corner. So I always find myself migrating back to the Right corner.

My Work..work bench and my Home Wood working bench are opposite.

bench.jpg

Thanks to all for great feedback. I think an end vise will suite me well and needs to be more thought out with my torsion box I have in my head. I think I'll design it to accept a face vise on either side in case I find my working needs one, but for now I'll forgo the additional hardware and expense.

I know my lathes final resting place will be by itself, but for now I don't have the room. After 3rd stall is built next spring, it'll be moved.

My bench/assembly table will have a noden setup so I can see not only beat height for myself turning on lathe, but also assembling. I'll use this knowledge when I build the lathes final spot next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    This is interesting subject. I was wondering the same thing as I was redoing my work shop and bench placment.

I work at a bench all day fixing windows/screens and cutting glass (have all my live) and I have always worked on the Right corner of my bench or table.
    So its strange when I get home and start working on the Left corner of my wood working bench. And then one end of my wood bench is kind of up against the wall and its the Right end/corner. So I always find myself migrating back to the Right corner.

My Work..work bench and my Home Wood working bench are opposite.

bench.jpg
    different tasks, different needs perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    It sounded to me like the OP wanted to mount the tail vise and the front vise adjacent to the same corner.

That usually won't work, unless the front vise is a leg vise, because the undercarriages will interfere with each other.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    I was wondering about the front vise being mounted across the table from the photo i posted in post 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    That's a Helipad, not a bench.

4 x 8 is an aircraft carrier. Sounds like you are letting the material design the bench.

When you design a stand for your lathe make it heavy and compact. It should accommodate tools etc. When ready, explore this in the turner's forum.

My bench has only an end vise. I have plenty of access around it. I use the right and left sides about equally.

When planing it is often necessary to plane both ways to accommodate the grain. Sometimes I pull the plane and sometimes push right to left or turn the piece around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    4 x 8 is an aircraft carrier. Sounds like you are letting the material design the bench.

When you design a stand for your lathe make it heavy and compact. It should accommodate tools etc. When ready, explore this in the turner's forum.

My bench has only an end vise. I have plenty of access around it. I use the right and left sides about equally.

When planing it is often necessary to plane both ways to accommodate the grain. Sometimes I pull the plane and sometimes push right to left or turn the piece around.
    in one way you are correct. The size of sheet good being 4x8 is dictating how big my assembly/track saw/work bench table needs to be. I always thought it silly people use track saws to rough cut panels, then finish them up on the table saw. With the right setup, you can just get perpendicular track saw cuts and be done with it.

Since I don't have funds for a sliding table saw, and already have a festool track saw, i'm going to see if this table can serve triple duty. =) Once I start building it, maybe it'll make sense, or be a total flop.

I'm going to also try just the end vise, but be prepared to to put a face vise on in case.

It's a lot easier to make final cuts on a table saw, because the fence to blade distance is fixed. Unless you do something, like move the fence (don't do that, make all the same cuts a the same time). That's why you tend to break down with a track saw, and make final cuts on a table saw. There is no error induced by measuring.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut