Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some used machine help! Texas is barren!

Thanks Jim. I can only guess they both would prefer to sell me some new equipment but will look into it. I’ve been in touch with Sam in the past but just don’t know that I can go new with MM/SCM. Hammer is a it more affordable. I grow impatient!

Blog Entries
    If you look on the San Antonio CL and search “bandsaw” it will come up.

I have the same problem. Here in Texas, I am looking for a near new Ski Nautique for pennies on the dollar. I guess no one is giving there boats away??? Very frustrating!

I've recently started looking on OfferUp, and it's pretty good for machinery. I'd recommend you try it.

I also recently joined Facebook just to use the marketplace feature, and I feel dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    Thanks Jim. I can only guess they both would prefer to sell me some new equipment but will look into it. I’ve been in touch with Sam in the past but just don’t know that I can go new with MM/SCM. Hammer is a it more affordable. I grow impatient!
    I have known both of these men for many years and they are very happy to refer folks to a used buy opportunity, especially when they are upgrading the seller to newer, bigger, fancier gear. The new can't go in until the old goes out. So they still absolutely have incentive to help!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Besides the usual (Craig's list, Facebook market place, woodworking auctions) I often do a search on Google. Then switch to the images. You'll see lots of pictures of new equipment matching your search but you'll often see pictures of used equipment. From there you can look at the site it's listed on. For example if it's Sawmill Creek then it's a good chance that it's just someone posting a picture. But if it's on a site that sounds like it's an auction site or it looks like it's part of a classified section of a site then I'll click on it. Often it's outside of my area or it's too old to be still available. But it gives me a new site to search. In the case of auctions if it's a place in my driving radius I then keep an eye out on upcoming auctions. If it's one of the less used classifieds, like "offer up" or "let it go" I then start keeping an eye on them. The biggest problem is that if it's something that has demand or a real good price you need to be able to go almost immediately. If I need something then I buy it new. If I want something and can wait I do research, see how many have sold (with the google image search) and for how much, and I can wait for a sale (Powermatic, Jet, Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly).

The problem is likely in how you setup your search criteria.

In Craigslist header select "for sale", then "all".
    In the left column, under "for sale", select "all".
    Below that select "search titles only" and "include nearby areas".

Then, in the search box heading the page to the right, type "lathe" or "saw" or whatever you wish to find, and click on the search button. Save this to favorites and check at least once every day.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    You may have to buy new because most people like myself will not part with their toys....
    Check Circle Saw in Houston. I have a 14" Jet with a riser block. It is delightful to use.