Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some used machine help! Texas is barren!

Need some used machine help! Texas is barren!

Hi all,

I continue to be frustrated at the total lack of options for a decent used bandsaw (16-18", good power) and possibly J/P combo (Hammer, MiniMax) here in Texas. I keep a close on on Craigslist but rarely see anything coming out of serious hobbyist or small commercial shops.

Are there other sites that I should be prowling? They don't need to be in Texas , but y'know...a person wants to be able to see what he's buying. I just can't imagine that there are so few serious hobbyists in this state!

Many thanks,
    Steve

Steve, is there a woodworkers club near you? I've found one near me, and someone is always selling their used equipment for dirt cheap.

Blog Entries
    There is a used Laguna LT18 for sale in San Marcos on CL. Guy seems pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Steve, is there a woodworkers club near you? I've found one near me, and someone is always selling their used equipment for dirt cheap.
    Because people need to sell stuff to make rent where you live! Lol

I can't stress Facebook Marketplace enough. Yes.....I know, it's Facebook..........
    You will have to make a Facebook account, then after that you will have to request joining the Marketplace group and agreeing to adhere to their policy's and conditions......
    But stuff goes on there for cheap, and it is all sorts of stuff!!!
    Craigslist ads generally want above half of the new cost, or more, especially if it is something good.
    I still use both.
    There are things I really like about Craigslist and vice-versa about Facebook.
    The key is probably going to be your patience and willingness to constantly check both when searching for a really good item at a great price. Then once you find it you had better have the cash in hand and be ready to pounce asap.
    I know that I won't save or promise nothing to anyone, first come first serve.

Blog Entries
    I created a Facebook account to get free shipping once years ago. What a mistake. I have formally had the account purged three times, been assured that by next year it will certainly be aged out, it’s still haunts me…
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've sold a car, set of winter tires, and 3 bicycles on Facebook Marketplace. Works great and you can see the buyer's profile before you invite them over to look at what you are selling. I have all the machinery I ever need, so I'm just about selling on it.

Stay in touch with Sam Blasco (SCM/Minimax) and Erik Loza (Hammer/Felder) who are both in Texas...they may know of clients upgrading. Unfortunately, you don't see a lot of folks unloading this kind of gear for two reasons: there's less of it out there in the North American marketplace than non-Euro gear and folks tend to keep the stuff forever unless they have a major change in circumstances or need to upgrade. This is especially true if you're trying to keep your purchase within a certain geography.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Join the Felder and Minimax owners groups. Stuff shows up for sale all the time. A guy in New Orleans is selling his entire shop of Felder, Rangate, Zuani, etc stuff right now. I won't joint Facebook for any reason but my girls are fine with fronting for me when something comes up I'm interested in. They do the contact and forward my info for me. Dave

Use Search Tempest to watch craigs list. set the distance as near or far as you wish.
    Bil lD

No personal connection but these Minimax have been up for a few weeks in TN. A bandsaw sold but 2 items remain

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/s...nimax&sort=rel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Use Search Tempest to watch craigs list. set the distance as near or far as you wish.
    Bil lD
    Why not just set the parameters in CL and do the same. Enter your zip code and set the radius.

David, I assume you are suggesting FB groups for Felder and Minimax. I found a MM/SCM group but only had 12 members and no recent activity. I couldn’t find anything for Felder. I’m not a FB knucklehead but clearly I’m missing something..

Thanks Bob. There is a guild here in the Houston area but my main exposure to them lead me to believe that they were mostly toys and crafty stuff with almost no focus on furniture and cabinetry. Maybe Houston is a wasteland for woodworking...

Todd, I added San Marcos to my search and nothing came up. Are you still able to see it?