Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epilog Fusion Pro 48 vs Trotec Speedy 400

Sorry. I didn't see this update until today. I haven't used the larger bed too much. It is definitely nice when I have a big production order and can fill the space and just let it go for an hour and get to other things. And I have run some airplane parts in it that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise (used the camera with that too). The bottom right corner isn't super reliable for me so that is my negative. I have worked with tech support and it improved but I don't fully trust it. It's not a very large portion of the bed (maybe the last 6x6") but I was disappointed in that. If you know you are most doing small things, I would almost recommend the 32 just because when I run a week only using the rotary in the top left corner it's a lot of reaching. Lol. I like the space for the cost difference though.

What Mike said... Make sure you know it will fit through the door AND that you have a good way to get it into position. I wouldn't recommend trying to get this sucker up/down any stairs. I had double doors installed in the shop so I knew I wouldn't have a problem and the ramps that come with the crate are great, but it did screwed up my floor a bit when I wheeled it into place. It's that heavy. I have some thin plastic I use now when I move it on occasion to clean out the exhaust ports. I love it and have broken a few parts (my fault) that Epilog has overnighted me new ones. The Facebook group makes me think tech support is still struggling with man-power or covid or something.. but other than being on hold on occasion if I call, they have been great with me. I usually email and someone gets back to me pretty quickly. I don't regret going for the 48 and I use the camera a lot for making jigs of weird shaped items.

Kev, which fiber lasers do you have?

My first is a Triumph 30 watt 'portable', looks a lot like this one-
    portfb.jpg
    Works great, but it's kind of a pain to use.
    This was the only one like it I could find on ebay...

My second was a 30 watt off ebay, this style of desktop unit
    seems to be the most popular at the moment.
    deskfb.jpg

I was so happy with it that within a month I bought another one,
    only they were out of the desktop models so I got this cabinet model-
    cabfb.jpg
    Fortunately I had room for it

And since I've been barraged with 'machining' orders this year,
    back in June I hit ebay again for a 50 watt desktop unit.

I've had no complaints with ebay stuff, but I'm also my own mechanic,
    so the flimsy customer support available doesn't bother me.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I got a demo of the speedy 400s recently and got the scoop about why to purchase it. Apparently, X, Y, and Z are all controlled by digital vs analog servos now; this allows the machine to operate at 170ips vs the previous 140ips. Additionally, the salespeople said that the optimotion 360 (digital servos) dramatically speeds up vector cutting. I want to say the salesperson said a client that was cutting puzzles went from 11min to 3-4min with the digital servo upgrade. They also had direct comparisons between Trotec and ULS. The quality was similar (leaning Trotec) but the time was night and day (Trotec). I’m not paid or anything by Trotec but after visiting their showroom, I have to say that I think they have an edge over Epilog. That being said up until then I always thought they were neck and neck. Also the run on Ruby (screen on laser) speedy 400 arrived to them while I was there, looks super awesome and Ruby is a game changer, but there is definitely still some bugs/limitations with Ruby.

I went to 3 tradeshows and saw all of the different manufacturers demonstrations and finally went with a Trotec Speedy 400 with the 120w laser. I have never regretted it. I am so glad I went with the biggest machine and most powerful laser. I get many projects just because I have the passthrough and a 12" Z-axis. I routinely cut .75" pine, poplar and even cut .75" mahogany for a project.

After 3.5 years it has never been down for more than a burned lens and I have several backups. Honestly both Trotec and Epilog are great machines and both have great reputations.

This plaque is 42" wide and fit in my laser without opening the pass-through. .75" poplar and mahogany cutouts.
    20200601_193116.jpg20190304_194947.jpg
    120w Trotec Speedy 400 with rotary and cutting grid table. And now acquiring an endless collection of woodworking tools.

YOU GO SAM!

You have the machine I want, someone at Trotec told me that the 120 watt tubes will cut half inch thick solid surface material. The speed of your machine is amazing and it makes a difference more than people know.

I get mesmerized when I watch it cut out intricate patterns.

First thing I ever cut was a piece of 8mm hard maple. Here is the end result:

20180520_151223.jpg
    120w Trotec Speedy 400 with rotary and cutting grid table. And now acquiring an endless collection of woodworking tools.

9. I have had a 75watt and a 120watt Epilog. The (old ~2004) 75watt served me _very_ well; but was 32bit architecture that could not be updated/upgraded so upgraded to the 120watt version in 2018. My 75watt appeared to have more power the the 120watt machine: compared to my 75 watt machine, there is no way my new machine was 120watt. Epilog's tech support is terrible, often iterating nonsense and irrational "solutions / guesses. The biggest problem is the incongrient lens design (next to impossible to clean). I am going with Trotec or Gravotech IF I can afford it. My new Epilog had some weird design issues, from my perspective / impediments. Time roll the dice on another brand.

A couple comments reference laser speed. That makes as much sense as comparing the color of machines: a largely irrelevant metric. Wattage and utility is way more important.

So unless I win the lottery or inherit a bunch of money, getting a "real," (non-China machine) is the way to go, i.e. Trotec, probably the 360.