Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Natural Polishing Stones

Blog Entries
    I use a 14" rubber coated bar tray to contain the mess.
    An automotive utility mat is also a help at keeping a mess contained:

Utility Mat.png

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=automotiv...ref=nb_sb_noss

Mine was purchased at Target over a decade ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I did buy three large silicon mats to see if they would work. They are small, smooth, "grippy" and easy to clean. I have not yet tried them with the Crystolon or India stones. I have used them for some other stones, however.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK6GH86 ($9 total).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I did buy three large silicon mats to see if they would work. They are small, smooth, "grippy" and easy to clean. I have not yet tried them with the Crystolon or India stones. I have used them for some other stones, however.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK6GH86 ($9 total).
    The great thing about the utility mats is if you find them at an auto supply or other large store you can often find them with a ridge around the sides to help control where the water or oil goes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is excellent as well, thank you! I'll PM you for those additional details. Reading this, I'm realizing that one of the things I've been struggling with is evaluating the tradeoffs between stones to make the best decision for my shop. It seems to be a some combination of cutting speed, cutting quality, material quality, maintenance, durability, lubrication medium, cost (I probably missed others). This post is helping me evaluate some of those variables between stones/brands.

I emailed the document to you....

I started with sandpaper. It has a low entry cost but long term it is not effective.

In my mind, the starting point would be "my stuff is mostly sharp and I want to keep it that way". With that in mind, you could start with a single stone and some stropping compound that you apply to a piece of wood

I've gotten a couple of fine razor hones from yard sales. In one case ,I hate to admit this...I bought a fine razor hone
    for 2 $ , I told the two widowed sisters " the real fine stones aren't much good for woodworking". One of them replied
    that it had belonged to their father and he often commented on its quality. You never forget such kindness and such a
    gentle and informing rebuke.