Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB... only four days in

MLB... only four days in

Rats... I was looking towards the distraction.
    Games already affected by covid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...se/5517164002/

edit: can they just bring up players from their AAA clubs?
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 07-27-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

It was bound to happen. KC Royals have a whole second team in town, practicing at a nearby stadium, just in case.

I heard that the Yankees won't go into the locker room that the Marlins used.

Yes, who would have thought a team from Florida would all test positive? The Marlins are stuck in Philly, quarantined and unable to travel. That exposes the Phillies, which must cancel on the Yankees and test and screen, not to mention stadium staff, etc. Meanwhile the Marlins previously played the Braves, so they're delaying/canceling while they test and screen. Anyone on the flights with the Marlins is screwed. Anyone that interacted with the Marlins in Philly is screwed. This was inevitable, and completely avoidable if precious precious baseball wasn't sacrosanct.

Here on the Philly news a Phillie's player said they thought something was up with the Marlins..........So MLB and the Marlins weren't up front about this? I'm confused.

The puppets on the stadium seats reminded me of the ones I made for back to school night in 2nd or 3rd grade from brown kraft paper and stapled on the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Here on the Philly news a Phillie's player said they thought something was up with the Marlins..........So MLB and the Marlins weren't up front about this? I'm confused.
    An article I read says the team knew they had positive tests before their last game and MLB new protocol was to trace and isolate any one in close contact - the whole team on the flight from Atlanta. But the players did a group text message and decided to play as a team anyway.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Is baseball really worth this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Is baseball really worth this?
    Considering the Tigers are losing to the Royals 12-6 in the Detroit home opener (8th inning now) it doesn't look promising.

-Tom

We have to watch baseball now as we've run through all the re-runs, Netflix, and Amazon shows we can stand. But it feels like we're just going through the motions and even the players don't seem to be enjoying it. It would be even worse without the fake crowd noise.

I wonder what's going to happen with football, as that will be a worse situation.

Baseball players, managers, etc are all chronologically adults, able to be informed and make rational thoughtful decisions and act accordingly. I do not wish to imagine what might happen if children return to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Baseball players, managers, etc are all chronologically adults, able to be informed and make rational thoughtful decisions and act accordingly.
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    This was inevitable, and completely avoidable if precious precious baseball wasn't sacrosanct.
    It is all about money. The teams want to lose less money as they have a lot of expenses besides just players. Players want to be paid. TV networks want to sell advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Baseball players, managers, etc are all chronologically adults, able to be informed and make rational thoughtful decisions and act accordingly............
    Watching what's going on in some of our large cities makes me question the rational thoughtful part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Considering the Tigers are losing to the Royals 12-6 in the Detroit home opener (8th inning now) it doesn't look promising.

-Tom
    Makes me think of something from MAD Magazine from more that 50 years ago. It was something like this:

Tigers! Tigers! Shining bright
    In the ballparks of the night
    On high and sitting pretty
    Then you blow four games in Kansas City

The rest of it eludes me and has so for a little more than 50 years.

Of course at that time the Kansas City team was The Kansas City Athletics.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)