Thread: Jet 10 20 drum sander

Jet 10 20 drum sander

I just replaced a deck and saved all the 20foot clear redwood deck boards . Since they are mostly in salvageable shape I’d like to resurface them with a drum sander. I found a used jet 10 20 , and am wondering if this might be a little small for the job? Any comments appreciated.

The drum sander isn't really going to balk at the work, but you're going to need substantial space and work support to process 20' long boards, assuming you want to leave them that length.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have seen videos of folks using free range lunchbox planers on big timbers. The wood stays in place on sawhorses and the machine pulls itself along. Not really sure how they get it started without losing a finger or two.
    Bil lD

That’s a pretty small sander for sanding an entire deck full of lumber. You’re going to be taking multiple passes too I bet. I’d plane them. Why do they need to be sanded in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That’s a pretty small sander for sanding an entire deck full of lumber. You’re going to be taking multiple passes too I bet. I’d plane them.

Why do they need to be sanded in the first place?
    planing would be an option, but I dint have one. Nor a drum sander. I’ve used drum sanders in the past and they do a good job at leaning up old boards that just might have a surprise to Knick a blade.

the belt sanders and pc 1/4 sheet sander clean them up to a nice tan from the ugly old dry stained worn look. It’s about 45 minutes A board And a real dirty jobs or the remaining 25 boards.

infeed out feed definitely Will be required.

I just don’t know about a machine this small.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-27-2020 at 8:16 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

It could be possible that you will have to replace the sandpaper after every third board if you make a few passes on each. They build a lot of heat and gum up paper very easily, especially with that stain or sealer on it.

I'd get one of those metal detecting wands and sweep it over each board and then feed it through a planer. I think you'll get the results you're looking for in a fraction of the time with a planer.

I think you will be very unhappy with that small unit for huge boards. I used that sander for years for small items and it is great for that, but you will get very bored trying to sand down stuff like that as it will bog at the first hint of trouble. I wouldn't even try my 19-38 for that. I'd send it thru my planer.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe