Thread: Epiphany

Epiphany

I've picked up a technique or two on my journey through this vortex that I've been navigating for a couple of years. My work generally improves with practice. I'm 95% self-taught through reading websites (and forums like SMC )and watching a few YT videos. Videos are a rare luxury because of my data limits. I know a couple of other turners, but have little opportunity to network and share.
    I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, or at least I thought I did. I have nice sharp tools thanks to Oneway Wolverine and Ron Brown's sharpening jigs. My Nova 1624 is lightyears ahead of the antique Delta Homecraft that I started with. My selection of aftermarket toolrests helps me get closer to where I'm working. However, I still struggle with vibration, tool chatter, tearout, and freshly sharpened gouges cutting like a freshly sharpened rototiller.
    I finally began systematically reviewing things and discovered that I have been setting the tool rest way too low. I always thought it should be set so that the cutting edge was "at or above the centerline of the workpiece", which I interpreted to mean just barely above the centerline. Yesterday I decided to think outside the box and set the tool rest about an inch higher than usual.
    Several things happened instantly. First, my gouge became 100x sharper than it was a minute ago, the shavings flew off the work in long, luxurious curls, tearout virtually disappeared forever, and the phrase "riding the bevel" suddenly became meaningful. Also the dark clouds parted and the sun shone brighter than usual, the birds sang more sweetly, and the flowers were more fragrant. OK, those last items might not be a direct result of changing the tool rest height, but I'm pretty sure they happened.
    I'm ready to start learning things all over again from this new perspective, but I can't help wondering what else I might be doing wrong unknowingly. The phase "he doesn't know what he doesn't know" comes to mind. Also the one about old dogs and new tricks.
    Thanks for listening. Happy turning.

I've always been a big advocate for mentor learning of woodturning. There are just too many small subtle things to learn, and they are especially difficult to learn or even see, from videos and reading. Imagine if you had learned the tool rest setting 2 years ago from someone looking over your shoulder? I turned for a couple years in the late 1980s and then gave it up because it just wasn't fun. Too many catches, too much sanding, just not knowing what tools to buy and how to use new ones. Then I went to a regional symposium in St. Louis and the skills and subtle techniques were show right there in front of my eyes. Those 3 days taught me more than 2 years of scratching and clawing. Of course turning information was a lot more scarce 35 years ago, and 4 jaw scroll chucks for wood had not been invented yet. Also of note is that there are as many bad mentors as there are bad videos. Well maybe not as many as bad videos on youtube! Good luck with you new learned skills!

I agree with the handsome and talented Mr. Coers. It's best to learn woodturning under someone's tutelage. However, that's not always possible. Even if it is, seeing another perspective is almost always worthwhile. So, by all means, join a local turning club (assuming any are meeting under the current circumstances) or take a few classes. In addition, allow me to recommend two additional resources: First is a series of videos Brian Havens made and posted to YouTube starting about 5 years ago. In them, he takes all the basic tools and shows how to use them properly. He hasn't added anything in about 4 years, but the skills he demonstrated are timeless. https://www.youtube.com/user/BHavensWoodworker/videos

Second, is a skew chisel video by Allan Batty, cleverly titled, "The Skew Chisel with Allan Batty." Allan passed away a few years ago, but he was one of the Deans of British woodturning and was well recognized for his teaching. The video used to be available commercially as a DVD, but our friends at Craft Supplies USA have posted it to YouTube. A couple of comments on the video: It covers more than just the skew. You'll learn worthwhile information even if you never use a skew (though it's definitely skew focused). Second, Allan was engaging and entertaining when doing live demos. The videographer managed to leave that part of Allan's personality out of the video. I'm not saying it's dry as dust -- but you might after viewing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

Good luck!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I agree with the handsome and talented Mr. Coers. It's best to learn woodturning under someone's tutelage. However, that's not always possible. Even if it is, seeing another perspective is almost always worthwhile. So, by all means, join a local turning club (assuming any are meeting under the current circumstances) or take a few classes. In addition, allow me to recommend two additional resources: First is a series of videos Brian Havens made and posted to YouTube starting about 5 years ago. In them, he takes all the basic tools and shows how to use them properly. He hasn't added anything in about 4 years, but the skills he demonstrated are timeless. https://www.youtube.com/user/BHavensWoodworker/videos

Second, is a skew chisel video by Allan Batty, cleverly titled, "The Skew Chisel with Allan Batty." Allan passed away a few years ago, but he was one of the Deans of British woodturning and was well recognized for his teaching. The video used to be available commercially as a DVD, but our friends at Craft Supplies USA have posted it to YouTube. A couple of comments on the video: It covers more than just the skew. You'll learn worthwhile information even if you never use a skew (though it's definitely skew focused). Second, Allan was engaging and entertaining when doing live demos. The videographer managed to leave that part of Allan's personality out of the video. I'm not saying it's dry as dust -- but you might after viewing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

Good luck!
    Aw shucks, thanks David!

When such a thing is possible again it is well worth a fairly long drive to your closest AAW chapter meeting for some hands-on help. Also try to get to Totally Turning in Saratoga Springs if it happens next year. Failing that, drive to someplace with free wifi (public library?) to partake of some of the better youtube videos or, even better, some of the fantastic live remote demos that are available online now from the likes of Cindy Drozda, Trent Bosch and many others.

Richard Raffin's books are incredibly valuable resources.

Thankfully, "ah ha moments" continue to occur.....

Quote Originally Posted by William McAloney View Post
    ...Yesterday I decided to think outside the box and set the tool rest about an inch higher than usual.
    Several things happened instantly. First, my gouge became 100x sharper than it was a minute ago, the shavings flew off the work in long, luxurious curls, tearout virtually disappeared forever, and the phrase "riding the bevel" suddenly became meaningful. Also the dark clouds parted and the sun shone brighter than usual, the birds sang more sweetly, and the flowers were more fragrant. ...
    I can certainly agree with the sun and birds effect! It's wonderful when it starts coming together.

I do have a prediction. I suspect that after you use the gouge with the toolrest at that height for a while and become very comfortable with the tool control and develop an instinct for what works you will find that you still have the magic touch if you move the rest to a variety of positions. You may eventually find like I did that one disadvantage with the tool and rest height is not the effect on the cut but the comfort for your arms, neck and back.

However, I think where a particular tool rest height is critical is when cutting at the very center of the bowl or platter. In that case, for the best center cut I might adjust the height just a millimeter or so - the height is even more critical when smoothing with a negative rake scraper held horizontal and flat on the tool rest.

A mentor would certainly be a huge help at this stage, but it's probably not practical in today's social environment. When the times are better, I will seek one.

John, you are right about the need for differing tool rest heights in different places. My discovery was when working the outside of a bowl, with a faceplate holding the workpiece at the rim end. Raising the rest made a huge difference there, but it was actually counter-productive when working on the base area both inside and outside. NRS work is still best when "at or slightly above" the centerline.

Posture is affected even when making relatively small changes in toolrest height. After some minutes of joyful shavings production at the new higher setting, I noticed back, leg, and arm strain issues. I have some leftover pieces of rigid foam insulation which I placed on the floor where I usually stand at the lathe. I tried a couple of different thicknesses and found that elevating myself on a 1 1/2" thick platform of foam brought me to a much more comfortable position. Actually, I think I addressed an already existing problem. Because of my diminuitive stature (5'7") and the need to elevate some of the adjusting feet on the lathe to get things level, it was probably a bit too high for me already. An added bonus is that standing on foam makes extended sessions much more comfortable and enjoyable. It's like standing barefoot in a field of clover while turning (that sun/birds/flowers thing again).
    In fine, my skillset continues to improve along with an increase in enjoyment.
    Thanks for listening. Happy turning!