Thread: Fun little box

Fun little box

I had some leftover Alder and Walnut and decided to try something new. It's a small mitered box with splined corners and a sliding lid. Finish is a light coat of Watco Natural Danish Oil. The mitered end follows the lid and the seam all but disappears when closed. A pair of rare earth magnets keeps it closed tight.

The fun part was building a proper crosscut sled and a sled for cutting the splines. I'll get a lot of mileage out of both of those.

IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0954.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice looking box, Rob. Great job on the mitered fit. Funny, I recently made a spline jig for a couple of picture frames I was working on. It too, will get some good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice looking box, Rob. Great job on the mitered fit. Funny, I recently made a spline jig for a couple of picture frames I was working on. It too, will get some good use.
    Thanks Phil. I was telling my wife that have as much fun building jigs/fixtures/production aids as I do the actual projects. They sure help down the road with accuracy and repeatability.

Now that I can make accurate miter cuts and splines without too much effort I may crank out a series of boxes.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

A most useful item, I keep my pinch-dogs in one much like yours.