Thread: Laser recommendations and smoke reduction

Laser recommendations and smoke reduction

I've made the decision to go ahead with a laser purchase. I can't afford to go with one of the major brands of laser cutters, so I'll have to stick with a Chinese laser for now. I've decided to go with a 24" X 16" unit. I checked the measurements of the unit, and can get it through the basement door. I can run the fume extraction out the basement window. If I put it in the garage, I would have to run the hose out under the garage door. I'm concerned about the amount of smoke that the unit generates when cutting and engraving wood. I don't want to get complaints from my already nosy neighbors. The commercial filters are too expensive. Can anyone recommend a DIY method for smoke reduction? The second part of the question is about temperature. The garage is not heated, and gets pretty cold in the winter. I know that if the tube freezes, it's done. I wondered if draining the water from the tube when not in use, and running a pipe heater tape in the tube compartment would be enough. I have 3D printing experience, and computer control experience. Laser are a new thing for me. I would really appreciate some recommendations. These are probably noob questions, but that's where I am right now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Keller View Post
    I've made the decision to go ahead with a laser purchase. I can't afford to go with one of the major brands of laser cutters, so I'll have to stick with a Chinese laser for now. I've decided to go with a 24" X 16" unit. I checked the measurements of the unit, and can get it through the basement door. I can run the fume extraction out the basement window. If I put it in the garage, I would have to run the hose out under the garage door. I'm concerned about the amount of smoke that the unit generates when cutting and engraving wood. I don't want to get complaints from my already nosy neighbors. The commercial filters are too expensive. Can anyone recommend a DIY method for smoke reduction? The second part of the question is about temperature. The garage is not heated, and gets pretty cold in the winter. I know that if the tube freezes, it's done. I wondered if draining the water from the tube when not in use, and running a pipe heater tape in the tube compartment would be enough. I have 3D printing experience, and computer control experience. Laser are a new thing for me. I would really appreciate some recommendations. These are probably noob questions, but that's where I am right now. Thanks!
    Here's a popular DIY laser fume extractor: https://www.instructables.com/id/Bui...ume-extractor/

I run RV antifreeze in our laser for safety purposes. You can leave the chiller running when it's cold out to keep the water circulating as well. It will get some heat from the chiller circuit and help with freezing.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Hi Steve, Thanks for the response. The link to the fume extractor was great. I think I can modify the fume extractor to fit what I'm doing. I will definitely try the RV antifreeze, and keep the chiller circulating when it's cold. I've been researching the percentages for the antifreeze and water mix, and will put some algae control in there as well. I appreciate the help!