Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw 5 hp Breaker Tripping Issue

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bruce! I will look up the HVACR breakers for my panel. That’s good to know. The breaker is “upsized” and yeah the overload protection allows the upsized short circuit protection.
    I have a $7 Thermistor on the way and will use it. It’s a 1 ohm which will reduce the startup current to about half and heat up enough quickly to go to a negligible resistance.
    It’s relatively small and I have some terminals that will fit in the subpanel for it. So it looks to be the best solution for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Install an HVACR type 40 amp breaker.
    It’s designed to handle high start amps.
    You did try a new breaker right ?
    On that motor there is likely an internal centrifugal switch that might be stuck or bad but you already know it works on a different type circuit.
    The switch disconnects a start capacitor once the motor is spinning enough.
    Another thing, it’s ok to put in a larger breaker on a motor circuit without going up in wire size.

Blog Entries
    It doesn’t look like Eaton makes any Definite Purpose breakers for either my main panel or my subpanel.
    The NTC thermistor provides a small package low cost solution and the inrush will be reduced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    It doesn’t look like Eaton makes any Definite Purpose breakers for either my main panel or my subpanel.
    The NTC thermistor provides a small package low cost solution and the inrush will be reduced.
    I am dubious about your thermistor plan. I've never seen a motor controller that uses that for reduced voltage starting, so that is an indicator. What is the heat dissipation rating of the thermistor? It will need to be pretty high to survive that much current x voltage drop.

Some thermisters are not designed for repeated activation. Those PTC thermisters designed more for circuit breaker or fuse replacement in small electrics do not return all the way to original on-resistance after activating and cooling.

Check the specs on whatever thermister you choose very carefully.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Last edited by Andy D Jones; 07-30-2020 at 1:16 PM. Reason: corrected thermister type

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    What Eaton series do you use? BR series does include High Magnetic versions, e.g., BR240H for a dual 40A.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    What Eaton series do you use? BR series does include High Magnetic versions, e.g., BR240H for a dual 40A.
    OP will probably have to go to an electrical wholesaler to order one. I doubt the big box stores would have it.

Or you may have to install the magic breaker onboard the machine or in a subpanel.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I’m not seeing a different trip curve for the BRH’s Maybe I’m looking at a different breaker than you’re referring to.
    I pulled up the the trip curves and It shows the same curves. The H’s do have a higher IC - Interrupting Capacity but I couldn’t find anything indicating they had a different trip curve.
    I do appreciate the discussion and looking at other options. It’s good to learn what’s available. For commercial/industrial panels there are many offerings of breaker characteristics to coordinate and taylor to a specific purpose. I’m not aware of any being available for these residential grade devices. But maybe I’m not looking at the right items.

The NTC thermistor isn’t the most ideal choice as it does have a couple of things that other more expensive and larger devices avoid.
    1) For full resistance recovery it takes 30 secs to a minute to cool down and be fully effective. This is fine for my typical saw operation and that it is usually the cold starts that create the most inrush. I’m ok with this but not ideal for all applications.
    2) The device gets hot quickly and this is how it operates. My concern in my shop is the wood dust. I haven’t had an issue inside my panels even though they aren’t dust tight. But it is worth an occasional check inside to make sure. I don’t plan to go to dust proof panels.

Others have commented about board level thermistors or the use of a thermistor at all in this application. They are used in these applications and are made for higher voltage and higher current applications. As a link to the breaker discussion, one of the applications is in hvac equipment. Often VFD manufacturers use them to manage inrush and such. I’ve used them for patient handling equipment in Positron Emission Tomography scanners. They do have drawbacks and are not useful in all applications. There are other means of inrush management. They are not universally applicable.
    I’m happy there is this level of technical discussion. I’ve learned a lot from this group in the short time since I’ve joined and look forward to further assistance.
    Now if I could just turn this technical knowledge into amazing woodwork I’d be delighted! I’ll keep trying.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 07-31-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Install an HVACR type 40 amp breaker.
    It’s designed to handle high start amps.
    You did try a new breaker right ?
    On that motor there is likely an internal centrifugal switch that might be stuck or bad but you already know it works on a different type circuit.
    The switch disconnects a start capacitor once the motor is spinning enough.

Another thing, it’s ok to put in a larger breaker on a motor circuit without going up in wire size.
    All breakers are HACR now which is why you do not see them marked like they formerly were.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rollie! That explains that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    All breakers are HACR now which is why you do not see them marked like they formerly were.

There is some interesting code rules about breaker location and also the GFCI breakers. A GFCI outlet ten feet away from the main panel only has to be able to trip and not weld shut under something like 500 amps. A breaker inside the main panel has to be rated not to weld shut under 10,000 amps. This has to do with how much power can go done a wire run before the wire vaporizes. A short fat wire from the unlimited power in the alley can carry a big overload before it frys. A longer smaller wire has enough resistance to slow things down so the breaker can trip open under load. That is why most outside GFCI outlets are at least ten feet from the service panel if they meet code.
    My numbers may be off from memory but you get the idea. High current switchgear in a power station will sometimes use air blast to blow out the arc as they are opened.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-02-2020 at 1:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    As a follow-up, I put the thermistor in and took some measurements.
    Inrush without the thermistor: ~210 amps
    Inrush with the thermistor: ~140 amps

I’m back to my short cord. One less thing to clutter the shop. But goodness, I have so much more to do!

22D2E998-4B44-4EB0-BB7D-13E1936E57F2.jpg
    CAA4542D-EA98-4609-9EDD-64B905EF5FA4.jpg

Blog Entries
    The pics on the last post had the voltage probe before the thermistor. This pic shows the voltage drop from the thermistor and the quick recovery back to full voltage.
    1584BCE9-D634-40A5-8633-33953F2DF01F.jpg

Eric, I have a heat pump with a pair of 5 ton compressors. LRA of over 170 amps. It was annoying as all get out when they started. So I installed a couple of magic box single phase soft starts that reduced inrush to approx 50 amps. I actually ordered them online, but the manufacturer web site is www.hypereng.com. I’m curious if they have a version that will fit your saw.
    Cheers
    Sean

The long cord acts as a line reactor. It takes a few phases for the field to build up to full strength and push the amps through by then then back emf of the motor is resisting the inrush current.
    Bill D