Thread: Lathe cabinet

Lathe cabinet

I am looking to build a cabinet under my lathe to hold some of the way to many accessories I have for it. The lathe is a grizzly g0800 and it has a hex rod between the two legs with a tray on it. Does anyone know of the hex rod helps stabilize the legs or is it only to hold the tray up? I would like to completely remove it so I don’t have to build around it. For those of you that have built drawers under your lathe, do you have any tips? Should I build it stand alone on casters or supported by the legs. Do you leave the bottom off the ground as a sort of toe kick? How far forward do you bring the front of the cabinet and not have it get in the way of your turning. Any other design ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. I have the G0800 also.......as you guessed, it is a stabilizer rod. you can remove it to place a cabinet underneath. It would be good to build it wide enough that it helps with the lateral stabilization too. Maybe adding some blocks of wood to the shelf castings to fill in the gaps on the sides?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

There are photos in the Green Monster Group of some cabinets under Grizzly lathes. Also some posts for the same. Here is one I posted.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ers&highlight=

I built this one, not my idea. My lathe needs to be rolled away when not in use. I made it so the cabinet and drawers can be rolled out, from underneath, while I use the lathe.

Information on sizing and hardware used is at the end of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    I am looking to build a cabinet under my lathe to hold some of the way to many accessories I have for it. The lathe is a grizzly g0800 and it has a hex rod between the two legs with a tray on it. Does anyone know of the hex rod helps stabilize the legs or is it only to hold the tray up? I would like to completely remove it so I don’t have to build around it. For those of you that have built drawers under your lathe, do you have any tips? Should I build it stand alone on casters or supported by the legs. Do you leave the bottom off the ground as a sort of toe kick? How far forward do you bring the front of the cabinet and not have it get in the way of your turning. Any other design ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    I've used a lathe with a cabinet built below and I didn't like it much. The reason: it interfered with where I wanted to put my feet and legs for the balance and freedom of movement I needed. Perhaps a shallower cabinet would be better.

I’m with JKJ. I built a cabinet under my Laguna 18-36. Handy, yes. But cleaning under it was a pain. I guess it is user preference.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I’m with JKJ. I built a cabinet under my Laguna 18-36. Handy, yes. But cleaning under it was a pain. I guess it is user preference.
    I've posted this several times in the past. After trying numerous things, a big tub from Walmart works best for me. It's pushed up against the wall. Catches a lot of the chips. Also catches things I drop. Easy to pull out, empty, and sweep/vacuum what misses the tub.

lathe_PM_tub.jpg

To keep most tools handy I use two walls, shelves, and three cabinets with drawers, all within arm's reach or fewer than three steps.

JKJ

I got tired enough of chasing tools all over the shop I put some drawers under my HF lathe.
    Lathe drawers - 1 - small.jpgLathe drawers - 3 - small.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Donn Fishburn View Post
    I got tired enough of chasing tools all over the shop I put some drawers under my HF lathe.
    Nice job on the drawers!

It was easy to build a cabinet to fit under my PM 3520 fully supported by the lathe legs.The added weight does help reduce vibration not that it’s really needed. But what I’d really like to comment on is the mistake I made of not having the drawer faces recessed a little bit from the front edge of the cabinet top and stretchers. If a drawer is not fully closed sawdust and chips fall into the drawer creating more cleanup. May not look as nice but recessed drawers save time and nobody wants sawdust in their drawers. (Pun intended)

I had the Jet version of what Donn has. I built a set of drawers to fit underneath it. When I sold the Jet, I kept the chest of drawers and put it under my 0766! Even turned the knobs for it! It has a p-lam top on it, with the edge of the p-lam slightly overhanging the top drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I put an old cutting mat on top of my drawer cabinet and let it hang over the edge about an inch. The mat was my discarded by my quilter wife. It was bigger than the cabinet top but easily cut to size with scissors. You could do the same thing with a thin sheet or hardboard or abs sheet. The cutting mat has rulers along the edges. This serves as an added bonus of a built-in measuring tool that I sometimes use for coarse measurements.

Here is what built for my Jet 1642. Still going strong.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....st-amp-Storage