Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frozen screw in Wheelchair.

Got it loosened up just enough, that I was able to use a block of wood against the metal shaft and hit it with a hammer 4 times. Got the break set just the way it should be. Don't see why that should be so tight. They should have used stainless steel bolts in the wheelchair ; so they would not rust.

On My Mom's chair I had to replace the front casters and the wheel bearings. The casters was a very poor design. It was actually fine except they had a vertical pipe with the caster on the bottom. problem was the top of the pipe was plugged with a inserted flush plug instead of a cap over the top. The inserted plug looked cleaner but it did not seal water out. Her home would wash down her chair at least once per week and a little water leaked into that pipe.
    that water sat on top of the bearing and rusted the bearing and the caster nut even though it had never been in the rain or heavy washing just rubbed down with a damp cloth. It was a close thing that I could unscrew that nut and pop out the bearing with all the rust.
    Bil lD

While they are loose, take them out, and run a tap thru the holes to clean up threads. Put some anti seize on them before reassembly to prevent future problems.

Blog Entries
    I say again, gentle heat applied to the nut may allow it to come loose. The nut will expand maybe breaking the bond.

Blog Entries
    For bolts that are truly stuck, I’ve used an easy out. The neat thing about easy out kits is that they come with left hand drill bits. I’ve only had to resort to an easy out a few times but they’re real life savers. About half the time, just drilling the hole will get the bolt out.

Blog Entries
    You might gently heat it with a propane torch. Or maybe an electric heat gun. Heat the nut first. Then gently try breaking with a socket wrench.