Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frozen screw in Wheelchair.

Frozen screw in Wheelchair.

It's either Froze in, or rusted in. Need to get the brakes adjusted on a wheelchair, but the screws the hold the bar that the hand brakes are attached to, are either rusted or frozen in. checked the manual, and they are torqued in at 115 FT LB's . I can't move those screws. they are STUCK !! Would a 3/8 inch electric drill have enough power to loosen those screws up ?

Try some penetrating oil and let it soak in for 10 minutes or so. Then wipe the head clean with alcohol or mineral spirits so the screwdriver won't slip. I've had very good luck with unmovable screws that have rusted with penetrating oil.

I don't know any screw that can take 155 ft lbs. It's not a bolt? But with that much torque, it could also have Loktite on it. Call the manufacturer, it might take heat to break the Loktite.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I don't know any screw that can take 155 ft lbs. It's not a bolt? But with that much torque, it could also have Loktite on it. Call the manufacturer, it might take heat to break the Loktite.
    My mistake. It's a bolt.

No Loktite on the bolts. They were always difficult to remove. Now, they are stuck

Try PB Blaster and if that doesn't work try heating it up. Sometimes using an impact works better than continuous force from a socket or wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    No Loktite on the bolts. They were always difficult to remove. Now, they are stuck
    Try a socket and a breaker bar, or just a long box-end wrench. Note how much force was required to remove them, and then try to apply the same upon reinstall. You should feel some “give” in the tightening, and you should stop at that point.

Careful with this stuff, losing control while going downhill toward the railroad tracks can be scary.

Blog Entries
    Try applying heat from a heat gun and see if it will break loose.

If you have room for a ratchet and a good 6 point socket, see if you can locate a piece of pipe or similar-even the thicker 1/2 PVC is better than nothing- to use as a breaker bar around the ratchet handle for more leverage. Heat the bolt head with a propane torch opened to just a hint of flame for about a minute. Should come out...

Before putting it back together, stop at your closest auto parts store for some anti-seize compound for the bolt threads, they'll come out much easier next time...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

PB Blaster works well, but should not be used indoors. The stuff will will make you sick. Pretty sure it's on the label.
    But there are so many products that have that...with this one it's a really needed warning.

Blog Entries
    Hi Clarence, in your first post it is mentioned these are torqued to 115 Ft Lbs Since you appear to have removed these before, how did you re-torque them?

It is difficult to recommend solutions without seeing the problem or even knowing what tools you have available.

Most electric drills will not produce this kind of torque. If they did their makers would likely be liable for many a broken wrist.

At 115 Ft Lbs the bolt is likely at least a 9/16" shaft, which also indicates the wrench size needed might be outside the range of most home toolboxes.

Is the reason for being "always difficult to remove" the tools used compounded by the difficulty of accessing the bolts? (Pictures almost always help others to better assess these kinds of problems.)

Then there is a question regarding, "the bolts that hold the bar that the hand brakes are attached to," is this the hand brake that goes against the tire and prevents a wheel from turning? (quote edited)

My last thought is there a way to adjust the hand brake without removing these bolts?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One recommendation for freeing up stuck fasteners is 50/50 ATF and acetone. I just made some up yesterday as I already had ATF, acetone, and a squirt bottle at hand. I'll know in a week or so if the wheel studs I soaked in the mixture will come out easier.

I think the threads on the frame where the bolts go through, are too tight.

My mistake. It's a bolt.
    115 ft lbs is a tremendous torque for the light duty bolts I've seen on wheelchairs. (For example, lug nuts on some cars are only tightened to 90 ft lbs.) Make sure it's not 115 inch-lbs.

Would a 3/8 inch electric drill have enough power to loosen those screws up ?
    Probably not. A cordless impact driver might.