Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon basics..... hand planes?

Amazon basics..... hand planes?

Has anyone seen these amazon basics hand planes? Saw an ad for one on Facebook and my jaw kind of dropped. Thought it odd. I understand amazon basics batteries and such, but hand planes? Sorry if these has been hashed out already.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...amazon+&sr=8-2

Hadn't seen it.

Mechanism is the same as the Harbor Freight plane. (Didn't check the specs to see if they're the same size.) Let's say it hasn't been well reviewed....

More like a Stanley SB4.....The Harbor Freight version has better handles..and is half that price....iron looks a bit longer, though...

They've got another one ($39) with wood handles and more traditional bench plane mechanism. Even looks like it is a double iron bevel-down. However, I'm not $39 curious. Someone else will have to take one for the team and do a review!

That other one is the same as the Kobalt sold at Lowes.....don't bother.....

If it were closer to April, I would have thought April Fools.

What's next? Chisels from Aldi's?

There is no way this is decent at $30. (I have not seen or touched it... just speculating).

Blog Entries
    The frog is cast as part of the body.

Plastic molded handles (Impact-resistant plastic handle with contoured grip) are spoken of as if they are an advantage?

Money wouldn't come out of my wallet for this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As Steven says you can get this plane at Harbor Freight for $15 now, I think, with a wood tote and knob.
    I got mine there several years back for $10.
    I take it when I'm installing cabinets and such like - I don't care much if I hit a nail or have to plane down a plywood edge. Works great for these tasks.

Aldi actually has sold chisels. Never saw them in the store but a bought a set of them on ‘that auction site’ out of curiosity. Not LN but Perfectly serviceable and I think the 5 were $20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    Aldi actually has sold chisels.
    I think Clifford is aware and was being funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    There is no way this is decent at $30. (I have not seen or touched it... just speculating).

Wait, you're saying that a hand plane that cost less than a decent plane iron may be suspect!?!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've seen hand planes at Aldi's at least once .

How about those Tersa hand planes (new advertiser here on SMC) anyone have any experience with those?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    [edited]
    Wait, you're saying that a hand plane that cost less than a decent plane iron may be suspect!?!
    John Ruskin said it well, “There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    Aldi actually has sold chisels. Never saw them in the store but a bought a set of them on ‘that auction site’ out of curiosity. Not LN but Perfectly serviceable and I think the 5 were $20.
    I nabbed a set of four for $8 at Aldi’s. They took a lot of work, flatten back, grind decent bevel, grind decent lands, but mine take a wicked edge and hold it nearly as long as my Hirsch chisels. These I don’t mind using to scrape stuff, lend out, let students use, open paint cans.

I don’t like the handles at all but that’s easy to fix. Sorry for the hijack.

Blog Entries
    Here is a post on Aldi chisels > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267763

This was a set sent to me for review by another member. They are okay for an inexpensive chisel. The set was given to one of my grandsons along with a 1/4" chisel and other tools.

jtk