Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon basics..... hand planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    Aldi actually has sold chisels. Never saw them in the store but a bought a set of them on ‘that auction site’ out of curiosity. Not LN but Perfectly serviceable and I think the 5 were $20.
    When i see a set of really cheap chisels that are at least somewhat known, I buy them. Not sure how many sets of cheap stanleys I purchased for under $10 for four because some store was dumping them.

When my neighbor wants to borrow a chisel, that is what he gets. When a friend who rarely ever needs a chisel wants a set, he gets a set of those from me.

I wandered into the maintenance guys work area at church a few months back. His only set of chisels were given to him by a member and I would be hard pressed to cut myself on them. I was thinking about dropping off a cheap set that was actually sharp. I told the maintenance guy that if his chisels disappear and he has something different that I took them home to sharpen them. I just need to be motivated to do it. With how they are abused, I won't be flattening backs or making it hair shaving sharp; at least not intentionally.

Have two sets of Aldi's chisels, bought 2 years apart..still 4 for $7+Tax.....

I have them "Shaving Sharp"....and they are my go-to users....Handles fit my "Uncle Arthur" hands nicely enough....

That "other" plane.....looks just like the "Kobalt" one in Lowes.....I tried one of theirs ($39+ Tax) for ONE week....could NOT get to work more than 5 strokes, before it changed it settings. Returned it for a full refund.

Later, I spent $30 on a Stanley No. 4, Type 10.....
    Plane Pine, speed bumps.JPG
    Hmmmm....

Holy crap! Amazon is even doing hand planes!?

Btw, the Aldi chisels (or something similar) are sold all over Amazon. I think they have multiple copiers who are likely the manufacturers for Aldi.
    I have a small set in my car for "emergency woodworking," and they're surprisingly nice. Edge feels like good German steel to my stones...a bit rubbery, but not bad.

I'm still using my 2 sets of Aldis chisels....no issues.

I bought two sets of the Aldi chisels, at Aldis, maybe $7 or $8. One set is on my bench fot whatever needed (backs were not that bad, bevels sharpened and the edge lasts as well as chisels multiple times the price).

The other set is still in original plastic. Will sell it in a dozen years to pay for my four grandkids college.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I got lucky with the two sets of Aldi chisels I bought a few years back - both sets were all completely flat. All I had to do was polish the backs.

I have several sets of the Aldi chisels, most still in plastic. I experiment with them. Took one set and reworked the handles, then ground a 20* bevel to see how they pare. They do ok - certainly worth what I paid for them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I suggest you visit the auction site, we are not allowed to name it on this forum. There is a lot of vintage planes there.

I have a complete set of Bedrock planes I bought there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I suggest you visit the auction site, we are not allowed to name it on this forum. There is a lot of vintage planes there.

I have a complete set of Bedrock planes I bought there.
    My understanding is we can name ebay. What we can not do is offer a direct link to items listed on ebay or other sites. It does seem to be okay to provide an auction number for reference purposes.

It is all explained here > https://sawmillcreek.org/terms.php

E. Commercial Advertising
    1. Direct Commercial Affiliation
    SawmillCreek maintains an active advertising and marketing program. As such, we seek to provide a non-competitive atmosphere for our advertisers by disallowing commercial posts from our members. Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.
    2. Indirect Commercial Affiliation
    Members may wish to expose other topics of interest, commercial topics included, but may only do so for the purpose of promoting discussion on the forums.
    3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

but how does it work?

About like a #4 should...
    mystery 4.JPG
    Nice pile of shavings..
    mystery 4 shavings.JPG
    But, who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nice pile of shavings..
    But, who made it?
    You've showed us many times that no-name or low cost tools can do good work when set up properly. So I'd say "who cares" who made it if it works well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You've showed us many times that no-name or low cost tools can do good work when set up properly. So I'd say "who cares" who made it if it works well.
    I do....I want to know the history of this or that plane...

At the very least..it does work nicely on Ash..
    July Project, top planed smooth.JPG