Thread: side table build out of cypress.

side table build out of cypress.

Howdy. On this table I am using solid wood on the sides with lap joints instead of plywood. For the fit of the inset wood into the slot in the frame how loose or tight should I make it so it moves with humidity since it is outside under a covered porch. Slot is 3/8" and material will fit in the slot now a little snug but I can move it from side to side with a little force. Does it need to be a little looser so it can move more freely?

I know this is a feel thing.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

I'm honestly having trouble visualizing your design. Can you provide some illustrations or photos?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian, wood moves across the grain. So, if the panel has grain running vertically, then the sides need extra depth for expansion and the panel needs to be set in deeply enough to account for contraction. The fit laterally in the grooves I make firm, otherwise the panels will rattle. Any expansion across the width of the edges is likely to be small. Just ensure that there is enough meat on each side of the groove to contain this.

By “lap joints” I suspect you mean shiplapping. This allows for movement in each board, and should reduce the amount of movement across the panel.

Don’t forget to finish the panel parts before fitting to the grooved frame. Otherwise contraction will reveal an unfinished edge around the inside of the frame.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Brian

Brian, also note that it is summer in the midwest so humidity is at its peak now. If that panel is a little snug now now I'd say its fine, as come winter it will be quite a bit looser in the grooves side to side.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

About the wood feeling tight but moving in your slot, if it needs to move it will overcome much more resistance than what you described.

A problem of being snug in the slot now is after you apply the finish. It'll wick in and lock the wood in place. It might pop the finish in the winter, or it might crack the wood. Depends on what finish you choose.

Richard, which finishes give the easiest and which lock the wood in?

Here is the dry fit. Plan to stain and use spar urethane since it is outside. Use 1/2" shiplap joint with 3/16" gap. thanks for everyone's input.

Cypress panel dry fit.jpg
    Brian

I have never even seen cypress lumber. For some reason I am thinking it is like spruce and fairly soft. I know the old growth stuff was rot resistant but what about the stuff you can buy today. Todays redwood is no more rot resistant the doug fir.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have never even seen cypress lumber. For some reason I am thinking it is like spruce and fairly soft. I know the old growth stuff was rot resistant but what about the stuff you can buy today. Todays redwood is no more rot resistant the doug fir.
    Bill D

this is really soft. I built a patio table out of it 2-3 years ago and have some mildew problems even though I stained with an outdoor marine stain; otherwise holding up well so far. Honestly wish I would have used teak instead, but live and learn. Brian
    Brian